Is this right???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had this plumber to install a new boiler couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately he “Forgot” to install the MagnaClean??? So he came after 10 days to finish the job.
But because of his bad planning now the MagnaClean is sticking out too much and I’ll need huge casing to cover everything. Please see the picture and tell me if this look right to you.

Sponsored Links
Bit scruffy and sticking out more than I would leave mine.

Don't forget you will need access to this for cleaning.

Also I hope he hasn't spurred the fused isolator for the heating off that double socket, as that socket appears to already be a spur and you can't spur off a spur :rolleyes:

to be honest it does not look that bad :rolleyes: a bit close to the sockets maybe but it does need room to be cleaned so will have to stick out from the wall.

it looks like he use the pipe bits that come with the magnaclean so it is the magnaclean that dictating how far from the wall it needs to be.

btw do you have a face on pic, it is hard to tell how far it is away from the socket.

it could be that this angle was picked to make it look worse than it is :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
always good idea to leave the magnaclean fitting guide with the customer, as it shows the unit in various "wonky" looking positions as acceptable :LOL:

Also I hope he hasn't spurred the fused isolator for the heating off that double socket, as that socket appears to already be a spur and you can't spur off a spur :rolleyes:

unless the circuits a radial. ;)

btw do you have a face on pic, it is hard to tell how far it is away from the socket.

it could be that this angle was picked to make it look worse than it is :rolleyes:

Here is the frontal picture.
I picked that angle so you can see how far the MagnaClean is from the wall, not to make it look bad. I thought that if he had positioned the pipes better and had MagnaClean valves in vertical position it would’ve been much closer to the wall. Now I need casing as big as the boiler. I just wanted to hear some “experts” opinion to see if I’m right or no.

If the double socket is a spur iteslf not the end of a radial from the cu off a 16 or 20 amp breaker, then the simple answer is to put a fused con unit at the source of the cable which feeds that socket. As long as the single t n e is fused down to 20 amps or less it can be used like a radial off a ring.

The pipework is fine the position of the magnaclean is not unusual. Actually today I cleaned two as part of an anual service for British Gas both fitted by British Gas installers for probably a lot more money than you have given and they look about the same as that job.

Doesnt look bad only thing i'd say is that scalemaster is for single appliance only and it appears to be feeding the boiler and off to somewhere else.

To be honest it was a job he forgot so not bad,i am sure we have all forgot to fit a filling loop at some stage,but as he has fitted connections on flow and return for powerflushing i think hes done a decent job.
Oh and prv pipe is sleeved, not many bother with that either.

i think the pipework is fine and that the customer is being overly negative

the only problem with the pipework is that some complete numpty has gone and splashed paint on the wall behind and marked the lovely copper pipe.

And suddenly I feel a prophecy coming on. Some female will employ a joiner who will box the boiler and pipework all in together not to manufacturer's clearances and when the first guy comes to fix it he'll have to be a magician but won't get any thanks for it.

but now we've all seen the picture we will know to walk out.

Thanks to all for the comments on my question. As I can see from your answers I was wrong :oops: . That’s why I asked in the first place. I didn’t want to complain to the plumber without consulting someone with experience. You have to understand that some of us don’t have a clue about these things so that’s why we are here. So please don’t be nasty with clueless people like my self in the future.

To Paul Barker: There was a casing there before so the wall looked black and awful.
Any suggestions on how to cover everything?? And would it help if I isolate the pipes?

dont judge us too harshly mate

we are just used to people that arent so much seeking advice as validation.

They normally post summink like

"my plumber disagreed that I could have gas coming out of my bath tap. he is wrong isnt he?"

then PUFF disappear when we say that the plumber is right and the punter is wrong

Quite refreshing to here some one say "I was wrong" on this here website

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back