Is this safe?

As I said before she lives a hundred miles or so from here so will need a proper spark to do the job.
As long as its safe for now thats great.
when she gets the place done up all that stuff will be gone anyway...

With regards to safety of the installation, it would be impossible to offer you a define answer by viewing photos, we can point out what is visually non-compliant or what is potentially unsafe.
I suggest that the first thing your daughter does, is have an "electrical installation condition report (EICR)" done, this will help determine whether this installation is still safe for continued service and flag up most problems.
It's likely that your daughter will end up doing some modernising of the property and new circuits maybe installed, extended or altered. In that event it is very likely that RCD protection will then be required, and from your picture there is no evidence of that being in place at the moment?
So upgrading of the board will be a positive move forward to achieving RCD protection, in most cases prior to having the board changed I would suggest a EICR is made. So having an EICR done now will be helpful with regards to a new CU being installed and determine if the existing installation is safe.

Sponsored Links
who would normally pay for eicr / the seller or the buyer?
And what sort of price??

The buyer, the same as they would pay for a structural survey etc.

I'd expect some where in the region of £150 - £400 depending on the size of the house, number of circuits, number and type of points etc.

Sponsored Links
The earth can be dodgy on that type of installation! - often the earthing has decayed to a point, where it can't be relied on any more.

who would normally pay for eicr / the seller or the buyer?
And what sort of price??
It is very rare that the vendor will produce an EICR, I have done them in the past for vendors but normally when an agreement is in place with a potential buyer.

Again the cost will vary on circuit numbers, size of property, ease of access and location.
I suspect the London area will be a little more expensive than the areas I work.
But standard 3 bed semi with 6-8 circuits about £150-£200

It is very rare that the vendor will produce an EICR, I have done them in the past for vendors ....
I'm sure it is and, even on the rare occasions it happens, I imagine that many prospective buyers would (not unreasonably) be hesitant to accept an EICR supplied/commissioned by the vendor unless they did a fair bit of research into whoever had undertaken (or claimed to have undertaken) the EICR.

Kind Regards, John

I find it not unusual when I am doing the EICR, when it involves a house purchase, that it is by mutual agreement between the two parties.

I carried out an PIR as it was then for a seller. I found his installation to be in an unsatisfactory condition and listed all the reasons why.

He threatened to take the firm I was working for to court as he reckoned it cost him the sale of his house.

I wish he had have done. :LOL:

I find it not unusual when I am doing the EICR, when it involves a house purchase, that it is by mutual agreement between the two parties.
That sounds reasonable enough - and if the potential buyer has been party to the commissioning of the EICR, that should remove most of the concerns I mentioned.

Kind Regards, John

I carried out an PIR as it was then for a seller. I found his installation to be in an unsatisfactory condition and listed all the reasons why.

He threatened to take the firm I was working for to court as he reckoned it cost him the sale of his house.

I wish he had have done. :LOL:

I've had a few of those!

Rough as bear's a*ses!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back