Is this structurally correct? Will it hold? My first DIY project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first DIY project and I am building a Twin shelf cupboard for the kitchen. I have attached a diagram of it with all the measurements. I just want to know if this is how it needs to be, for example the sides (pink colour) is on the inside of the top and bottom (yellow) and will be screwed from the top bottom and the back.

Will this all hold with screws and wood glue?

iqa65d2269hkag6zg.jpg

Thank you,
Reda

Attachments

• DIYProject1.png
    DIYProject1.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
Ply not the best material to screw into end grain as it can split . Will be very heavy with 25 mm material, ott for a kitchen cupboard.

Ply not the best material to screw into end grain as it can split . Will be very heavy with 25 mm material, ott for a kitchen cupboard.

I have already ordered the wood. Will it be a major problem? Should I use nails?

Thanks

you could do it with dowels. They are glued into a well-fitting hole so will not cause a split like a screw might.

I use an Eclipse dowelling jig. I am not very good at woodwork.

A more basic solution would be to use corner blocks or battens in the inside joints.

You need to fix a rigid back to prevent it going trapezoid and racking the joints. Thin ply will do.

Sponsored Links
you could do it with dowels. They are glued into a well-fitting hole so will not cause a split like a screw might.

I use an Eclipse dowelling jig. I am not very good at woodwork.

A more basic solution would be to use corner blocks or battens in the inside joints.

You need to fix a rigid back to prevent it going trapezoid and racking the joints. Thin ply will do.
He shows 18mm ply for back .

I wouldn't want to lift it.

It's not meant to hang on the wall, is it?

I wouldn't want to lift it.

It's not meant to hang on the wall, is it?

No it won't be fixed to a wall. It will be on 4 castors with 40 kg max load each, which totals 160 kg, the whole wood structure is 20 kg. In the image it may look super long but as you can see it is just over a meter in length.

I like the idea of the corner blocks in the inner joints, I have attached an image of how I will do it, is that correct?

I will also be using these angel brackets on the top and bottom on both sides as I have also illustrated in the image.

7wwzgdlr00mkns9zg.jpg

Thank you
Reda

Attachments

• DIYProject1_P2.png
    DIYProject1_P2.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 208
I think wooden blocks, stained to match the ply, would look better.

I assume that, as you're fitting castors, you intend to move the unit around.

Those dimensions suggest that it will be unstable especially if the loading is uneven.

I assume that, as you're fitting castors, you intend to move the unit around.

Those dimensions suggest that it will be unstable especially if the loading is uneven.

It won't be moving a long distance, just 1 meter max back and forth from the side. There will be a handle on one of the side to pull on. It will be next to the fridge between the fridge and the wall, a small gap in there. So you would roll it out just enough so you can access the items on the shelves.

You will need fixed castors , not swivel type if it just pulls straight out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back