New to routing - first project??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just purchased a router (first time user) and a set of bits.

Now, I'm just wondering where I should start as regards my first project.

I am going to build some simple workbenches for the back wall of the garage and am thinking that i would like to keep the whole thing modular so I can take them with me when I move

I'd like to some MDF cupboards with kitchen type doors/hinges to go underneath them. Might even try some drawers (good idea or not?). These units would be self contained and just sit on a shelf so can be removed easily

So question is in order to gain a bit of practice with the router, what sort of joints should I consider - Normally i would just butt up and glue and screw.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo andywhy :D :D

good choice
routers are better at shaping trenching rebating
can be used for joins but not the first choice unless you have a jig
however you can buy a buiscut cutter for your router and use buiscuts or 4mm ply strips

what router do you have and what cutters do you have !!
have you been to aldis recently ;)

hi big-all

nope not been to aldis. Had looked at various posts recommending starting with a 1/4 inch model, but have ended up buying a £90 1/2 inch erbauer from screwfix. I was actually surprised at how heavy it was!!

Today I went down to B&Q (i was impatient i know!) and bought a trend set of 15 bits, so some "straight" bits for channels and trimming and some chamfer and curved profiles - please excuse my terminology!

Are (and again excuse my description!) rabbets? where you remove a channel at the edge of a piece not suitable joints? if not, do you still recommend i go down the biscuit route, with a suitable bit.

As all these units are just for the garage I'm willing to experiment, but at the same time want to practice and progress gradually, just to get a feel, if that makes sense!

thanks

andy

just to add

i am liking the idea of plywood strips. if i were to go for 4mm ply, is there a particular size router bit that would provide the required channel size for a good fit???

Is it difficult to route the groove on the end of one side of the joint, and how would i go about this

thanks again

andy

Sponsored Links
one off these bits
http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A338071/Blades/Router-Cutters/Biscuit-Jointing

http://www.toolstation.com/documents/search/index.html?searchstr=router+cutters&submit=Go

the trouble with using buiscut cutters in a router is for safety reasons you need a table :cry:

you can do it without but you need to clamp together around 2" to give the router base somthing to run on and be confident

one off the first things you should get is a router matt absolutly invaluable

and remember 1/2 the shank per pass when using a square edge cutter so if using a strait cutter on 12.7 thats 6.35mm

thanks big-all (again!)

but if i were to buy from "X" shop what would I need to ask for if I wanted to do these 4mm ply joints

andy

you use the buisut cutter or a table saw with 2 passes ;)

you might find dowels are more practical or a buisuit cutter machine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back