Is this subsidence?!? Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have noticed what seems to be cracking of some sort upstairs on my landing wall.

Other symptoms are doors that stick, one or two doors loose off hinges.

Is this subsidence? Should I be worried? I am fully insured and I am a bit worried that any insurance claim will affect the resale value if its registered against the property??

Please advise. When I bought the house 8 years ago I did a full structural survey and nothing came up on the report to sugges this??

Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
what cracks are visible outside??

looks minimal old houses move all the time

how long a period have the crack developed??

what cracks are visible outside??

looks minimal old houses move all the time

how long a period have the crack developed??

None visible outside but this crack has slowly developed over the last few years and I've noticed skirting boards have started developing a gap as well.

Looks unsightly to me and if left it will probably get bigger. Just to point out that this is a mid terrace house and this particular wall is with a neighbours wall and they have something similar happening to their wall!

Sponsored Links
Could be minor thermal movement but gaps under skirting boards might be something else. However, nothing is going to collapse.

Has a knock-through taken place at any time in your or your neighbour's house? Or any significant building work?
Have either of you moved the staircase to a new position?

The crack in the pics drops down from a what? A soffit? A linteled opening?

Do either of you have extensions at the rear elevation? Or loft conversions?

Are you on a hillside or sloping ground?

victorian terraced houses had no footings as such just the foot off the wall corbelled sideways 2 or 3 times to give a wider foot and as the ground heaves with changes in water content your bound to get the odd crack here and there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back