Is this subsidence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I’ve recently purchased a 1930’s semi detached house. I noticed that the front bay had some diagonal cracking in the brickwork. Does this mean there is subsidence? Do I need this checked?

Thanks

Attachments

• 18494948-1B1D-42E2-9FF2-1C1A8944107F.jpeg
    18494948-1B1D-42E2-9FF2-1C1A8944107F.jpeg
    546.2 KB · Views: 261
Sponsored Links
Naively, we didn’t get a full report done. Nothing ever came up during the purchase to cause any concern

Sponsored Links
Bay windows are often tacked on with different foundation to the main house. It's obviously been like that for a long time and doesn't look serious or anything likely to affect the house itself. More an irritation because any repair/repointing will stick out like a sore thumb.

Bay windows are often tacked on with different foundation to the main house. It's obviously been like that for a long time and doesn't look serious or anything likely to affect the house itself. More an irritation because any repair/repointing will stick out like a sore thumb.
Thanks for the reply! It does seem to have been like that for a while, there’s no cracking on the inside of the house or anything to suggest anything else going on. I’ll keep a good eye on it though

Hi woody,

what does this mean? Should I get it looked at? sorry I literally am completely clueless

thanks
It means it is probably not subsidence!

Walls can move sideways by expansion and contraction, and that is common and not as serious as foundation movement/subsidence.

Just keep your eye on it for any changes in size, width etc. Also what are things like above it, with the frames and the bay above - especially at the junction with the main house wall

It means it is probably not subsidence!

Walls can move sideways by expansion and contraction, and that is common and not as serious as foundation movement/subsidence.

Just keep your eye on it for any changes in size, width etc. Also what are things like above it, with the frames and the bay above - especially at the junction with the main house wall

Hi Woody,

I can’t see any cracks at the joint of the bay inside or out. The bay does have UPVC windows that look like they may be about 20 years old at the most and I have read on here that that can cause bowing of the bay but I can’t see any huge cracks anywhere at the moment. I will be keeping an eye out incase the previous owners have just filled and painted anywhere though!

I was worried because there is a lateral drain running in front of the property so wondered if that may be a part of the problem. I suppose all I can do for now is keep an eye on it but so far nothing to suggest a huge amount of movement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back