Is this Tiling quote fair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got the first quote to tile our kitchen today,

Walls - 3m2 £195 - 2 days.
Floor - 9m2 £235 - 2 days.

Price includes adhesive, grout and sealing of the floor tiles.

The tiles are costing £220 so that's £650 all in, a tad more than we thought for such a small kitchen.

I live in Central Scotland if that makes a difference.

Here is some pictures to show you whats getting tiled.

DSC00484.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

Here is the floor area, tiles will be under the fridge, washing machine and dish washer, also getting the cupboard tiled which is about 1m2

6-1.jpg

Kev

Sponsored Links
That, Kevstir, is a good deal. £195 for two days work, throw in a couple of bags of adheshive at £15-£20 per bag, a tenner for sealer and £20 for grout. That is cheap compared to my neck of the woods.

My only worry would be that for £430 for 4 days work the guy will cut corners and I would want to make sure it is a "proper job" as they say in Devon!

That quote is very low - I would charge one million pounds.

Sponsored Links
I would charge one million pounds
Is that just for labour :?: I hope you are going to include the adhesive for that price ;)

Kevstir as most of the guys on here will tell you "can't see it can't quote for it"
Looking at the pics,you have 2 door ways that will need fitting round and on the walls 1 external and 2 internal corners plus 3 sockets,what size and type are the tiles?What is happening around the window area?

thanks guys

lance, the tiles will be going from the fridge all the way round to the end of the worktop at the window, the tiles are 10x20cm.

the bit that you can see in the corner is where the microwave is going, i cant see the point of tiling in there as they wont be seen but she who must be obed is insisting it gets tilled ffs lol.

meant to say, that door leading to the cupboard isn't there any more so its more a walk in cupboard.

Kev

The wall tiling seems about right as a lot of cuts when tiling between worktops and units.The floor seems a little cheap for 9sqm.Have you seen any of the tilers work?Ask for pics or references,I always send a disc with all quotes with pics of past projects and am always happy to provide references where required :) .Get a couple of other quotes in too ;)

Oh, you'd be surprised at what I include at that price.

Oooooohhhhhhh young man :!: :LOL:

have to agree with lancenotalot floor is pretty cheap walls seems okish, get a cpl quotes then youll know that its not far off most others.

I know you Scots are tight, but that's not a lot of money. ;)
If the guy comes recommended, you're laughing.
I hope that the floor is not floorboards under that lino (as shown in the graphic) or you're in for a world of hurt for that price because thre's no way he's boarding out for that money. You don't say what size and type the floor tiles are.
Just a piece of advice.... if you can, I'd be looking at packing out the back wall where your microwave is gonna go to get rid of that step.

gcol, don't believe all the things you see on the tv, we aren't that tight :LOL:

na no floor boards just plain old concrete floor, tiles are 33cm x 33cm and ceramic, there satin white and im sure there called blanco.

cant get rid of the step m8, its only 36cm deep and we want the microwave to be flush with the wall, there isn't many microwaves that are smaller that 36cm deep.

we had another quote in yesterday and that was the same at £430, getting another guy in tomorrow that comes recommended.

by the way im not looking for a cheap job, i do understand pay peanuts get monkeys, quality comes at a price, this is our first house so never had to get a quote for tiling before so just wanted to make sure it was ok.

Kev

aye no probs Sofus, interest is charged at 100% a day though lol

well we got the 3rd quote today, labour £320 and we had to supply all materials. what puts me of this quote is that we know feck all about what we need to get, i would rather him quote a price including everything that wee need except tiles.

I think we are going to go with the second quote, he is charging £470 but that's with a better adhesive as we want the floor raised 20mm including the tile,if we wanted he will also supply the tiles and pass on his discount.

Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back