is this TN-S or PME?

Sponsored Links
is this to do with a difference between a 'main' and a 'service'?

A main is the cable that generally runs along a street from a substation to which multiple customers are connected.

A service is a cable from a main to an individual customer.

Other definitions (I think including BS7671- I don't have my copy to hand) take TN-C-S literally - i.e. if the N and E are combined at some point and then split (anywhere), it's regarded as TN-C-S.
In that case there's no such thing as TN-S.

It does exist, that if you ignore the all possible direct N-E shorts you might have consumers installations supplied by the same TNS service cable... :evil:

And what would you make of it if the point at which the conductor from the star point of the transfomer is tied down to physical earth and inititally separates into neutral and earth is not within the transformer room but actually in the consumers main panel? TNS or TNCS? the supply authority call it PNB but BS7671 doesn't recognise that... :p

PNB

Protective Neutral Bonding. This refers to the technique of using the
Supply Neutral Conductor directly from the transformer to provide a
protective earthing facility to a single customer. The neutral is earthed at
one point only normally at or adjacent to the customer’s installation

Sponsored Links
is this to do with a difference between a 'main' and a 'service'?
A main is the cable that generally runs along a street from a substation to which multiple customers are connected. A service is a cable from a main to an individual customer.
Thanks. In that case, allow me to repeat my question, translated into that language:
Fair enough. Is it common to have a CNE segment, other than very close to the transformer, in a TN-S main?

Kind Regards, John

Is it common to have a CNE segment, other than very close to the transformer, in a TN-S main?

It is certainly not unusual, I hesitate to say common as we have a huge amount of SNE (split neutral earth) cable in use that has no CNE in it

And what would you make of it if the point at which the conductor from the star point of the transfomer is tied down to physical earth and inititally separates into neutral and earth is not within the transformer room but actually in the consumers main panel? TNS or TNCS? the supply authority call it PNB but BS7671 doesn't recognise that... :p
I'm not sure that PNB would qualify as TN-anything, would it? If I understand the terminology correctly, it would probably be something like -T !! The exposed-c-ps of the installation are connected directly to a local earth, and the transformer is not earthed at all, other than through the neutral to the intsallation's 'local' earth. It's almost TN-C-S in reverse, so maybe it's NT-C-S :)

Westie (or anyone), does the I/N/T/C/S terminology cater for PNB?

Kind Regards, John

Ah, but all thats happened is that the star point is extended a few more metres than it would normally be when the connection is made within the transformer room.

So which box would you tick on your cert John as there there isn't a box for PNB :LOL:

Westie (or anyone), does the I/N/T/C/S terminology cater for PNB?

I doubt it, it is something rather different to the norm. Normally it is treated as TN-S as regards customer wiring

So which box would you tick on your cert John as there there isn't a box for PNB :LOL:
You tell me! I suppose that, in terms of the current path resulting from an L-E fault within the installation (which is probably the consideration of most importance) it's actually more like TN-C-S, in that the return path to the transformer is entirely along the N conductor. Which would you tick??

[Assuming it were a 'manual' form, I probably wouldn't tick anything - I'd probably just write PNB!]

Kind Regards, John

SNE main, CNE branch into the building.

Yep, totally acceptable and the norm for most new or altered supplies, and gives TN-C-S in the building, all that is done is to bond the NE of the service to Neutral & Earth at the joint.

a TN-C-S supply which is not formally PMEd

But it is!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back