is this TN-S or PME?

Sponsored Links
Multiple Earths

On a newly installed PME system the neutral and steel work is earthed at the substation, either with values of below 20ohm for the LV & 40ohm for the HV steelwork. More usually it will be a combined earth of a value below 1 ohm.

At the end of each main we would install a single earth rod connected to the CNE.

If there is any SNE cable involved of the older lead sheath type, that sheath (and any armouring) is also classed as an earth electrode as well as providing the earth continuity and connection.
If we do service connections or joints from SNE to CNE we would also install a single rod

(Overhead networks tend to have a lot more earth rods at intervals along the line)

Multiple Earths ... On a newly installed PME system the neutral and steel work is earthed at the substation, ... At the end of each main we would install a single earth rod connected to the CNE. ... If there is any SNE cable involved of the older lead sheath type, that sheath (and any armouring) is also classed as an earth electrode ... If we do service connections or joints from SNE to CNE we would also install a single rod (Overhead networks tend to have a lot more earth rods at intervals along the line)
Fair enough. Does that mean that , in an underground 'fully CNE' situation (CNE all the way from transformer to consumers), the 'multiple' may just be one earth at the substation and one at the end of the main? I must say that I had thought/assumed that there would be a lot more than that.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. Does that mean that , in an underground 'fully CNE' situation (CNE all the way from transformer to consumers), the 'multiple' may just be one earth at the substation and one at the end of the main?

If it was a single main from the substation with only one end (i.e, no branches), yes

Fair enough. Does that mean that , in an underground 'fully CNE' situation (CNE all the way from transformer to consumers), the 'multiple' may just be one earth at the substation and one at the end of the main?
If it was a single main from the substation with only one end (i.e, no branches), yes
Thanks. When you say 'no branches', I presume it is accepted that there will be consumers'services connected to the main along its length? I think I had previously assumed that there would probably be an earth at each of those connection points.

Kind Regards, John

I presume it is accepted that there will be consumers'services connected to the main along its length? I think I had previously assumed that there would probably be an earth at each of those connection points.

Yes that is correct, A branch would be another main jointed off the original (think of a tree trunk & branches)
There never have been, nor at the end of the services.

I presume it is accepted that there will be consumers'services connected to the main along its length? I think I had previously assumed that there would probably be an earth at each of those connection points.
Yes that is correct, A branch would be another main jointed off the original (think of a tree trunk & branches) There never have been, nor at the end of the services.
Thanks. One learns something every day! I had always thought (assumed - hence 'never assume'!) that PME earthing was a lot more 'multiple' than you are indicating. If I understand you correctly, the only difference, earthing-wise, between a PMEd unbranching CNE main (serving many consumer's services) and a TN-S/SNE situation could be just one earth at the very end of the "PMEd" CNE main.

Kind Regards, John

If I understand you correctly, the only difference, earthing-wise, between a PMEd unbranching CNE main (serving many consumer's services) and a TN-S/SNE situation could be just one earth at the very end of the "PMEd" CNE main.

Got it in one!

is this to do with a difference between a 'main' and a 'service'?

A main is the cable that generally runs along a street from a substation to which multiple customers are connected.

A service is a cable from a main to an individual customer.

Just to be awkward.....

If a service supplies an individual customer, what do you call a cable from a main to say, a pair of houses with a loop taken from one cutout to another, or a small block of flats? Is that a shared service? Or a sub-main?

:p

what do you call a cable from a main to say, a pair of houses with a loop taken from one cutout to another,

That is a master & loop service.

or a small block of flats?

If more than 6 (I think) with centralised seperate metering at the end, that would be classed as a main so we would also install an earth rod

So, can I conclude that this is TN-C-S (because the DNO has labelled it as such) or is it TN-S ?

Thanks

I would say it is TNS.

Just because it has a label on it saying it is PME does not make it PME. As far as i can see, you just have 2 earthing points, 1 clamped, the other sweated, to the lead sheaf of the incoming servise.

For it to be PME, the 2 earths would of been removed and a short piece of G/Y would of been taken from the Neutral block to the MET.

One explernation, the DNO was called out a high Ze, found that the solder was crumbling away so cleaned up a piece of the lead sheaf and fitted a new clamp, fitted the henley block because the braid would not fit in the MET but the only block he had, already had a PME lable on it and he could not be bothered/forgot to remove it.

As has already been said, the only sure way is to phone the DNO.

So, can I conclude that this is TN-C-S (because the DNO has labelled it as such) or is it TN-S ?
Untill a couple of days ago, I would have thought that it can't possibly be TN-C-S (so must be TN-S), since the DNO have not provided an earth derived from a CNE conductor within the premises. However, as a result of all the discussion in this thread, I'm now far from certain ...

...westie, Wontdothatagain, or whoever ... if there were a CNE main which fed a service to a consumer through a SNE cable, would/could you call that TN-C-S?

Kind Regards, John

...westie, Wontdothatagain, or whoever ... if there were a CNE main which fed a service to a consumer through a SNE cable, would/could you call that TN-C-S?

Deleted, just re-read your post again, not sure, westie would answer that better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back