Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I know what you are going to say, go and get the opinion of a professional struct eng.
But this is a DIY forum so let's forget about the professionals for a moment.

Trying to determine is the wall shaded yellow is structural?

Some background.
Bungalow, no second floor, so the yellow wall finishes where it meets the roof joists. No wall above.
Brick built in the 1930's.
The main roof joists span the whole width of the building, there are no joints, overlaps, sistering etc.
Where the joists meet the yellow wall they appear to rest on the wall.
The RSJ is not floating at one end, its just the way i drew it. (new to sketch up)

I had an architectural designer look at the wall and he could not determine if it was structural (i realize it is not his job to do so).

Basically I am trying to determine if I need to apply for a building warrant to take down the wall and if i need to add in a beam to support the load of the joists.

Based in Scotland if that makes any difference.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.43.19.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.43.19.png
    493.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.43.48.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.43.48.png
    803.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.43.28.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.43.28.png
    340.6 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
If the ceiling joists are small (3" - 4"?) it is likely that the wall may be providing some support.
in the loft, there may be sticks supporting some of the joists, nailed to the ridge or some other main timber. If you nailed similar support sticks to the ceiling joists where they cross overthe wall, that should be OK to stop the ceiling deflecting.

Personally, I wouldn't class it as a structural alteration, but then I'm not your building inspector.....

The joists are at least 6 inches deep by 2 inches wide.
Yes there are struts in the loft that support the joists. I hadn't thought about those come to think of it, so thank you. I'll check on the location of the existing struts and see what point they attach.

They're not so much struts as hangers - the ceiling joists are suspended by them.

Sponsored Links
On a similar note, if i came to sell the house having removed the wall without any permits etc, how could it come back to bite me?
I don't understand how a solicitor during the conveyancing would be able to tell that a small wall had been taken down or widened? And he's not going to know if it was structural in the first place is he?

The buyer's survey normally picks up on alterations with advice for the conveyancer to check permits had bern sought
Edit
Plus, rightmove shows historical photos and plans etc. I used it when buying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back