Is this wiring layout legal and the correct way to do it?

Sponsored Links
It will depend on what you intend to use the circuit for, where it is and the floor space of the room.

This is clearly a radial circuit, from what I can see all is fine, apart from

the 2 spured sockets (on the right) these will need to be fed via an FCU.

Radials are limited by the size of the floor space of the room into which

they are to be installed.

Read this it is a START
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/radialcircuit.htm Hope this helps

The 2 sockets on the right are actually the point of my main question.

Why an FCU? It is all 2.5mm, with one 20A MCB.

All sockets are in 2 bedrooms, in the loft, with the 2 on the right located on the dividing wall between the bedrooms, one on each side of the wall, opposite each other.

The first 2 sockets, at the top actually dont exist. I simply cut and pasted on a picture I found on the wiki pages. I will redo the picture to remove them and make it more like what I actually have.

Thanks for the help anyway. I will now read the link you sent.

Here is an updated picture which is more accurate.

There is no problem with the two sockets on the right when the entire circuit is a radial.

Sponsored Links
This is clearly a radial circuit, from what I can see all is fine, apart from

the 2 spured sockets (on the right) these will need to be fed via an FCU.[/url]

No they don't, that rule only applies for a ring final, this is a radial circuit protected by a 20amp mcb, taking an unfused branch from a radial circuit of this type is perfectly acceptable.

Thanks for the replies. This layout makes it much easier for cable routing, and I dont think I need to bother with trying to run a ring. If my 2 kids are drawing more than 20A in their bedrooms, I really wont be happy.

One final question:
I read that the total area should not exceed 50m2. The bedrooms themselves dont, but how does this account for the cable run down to the switchboard, which is about 6 meters long.

Sorry Dannyboi I stand corrected, having a middle age moment :!: :?:

In the beginning, you should be fine with the entire installation, don't worry about the 6m legs, a simple voltage drop calc should clarify any issues.

I read that the total area should not exceed 50m2. The bedrooms themselves dont, but how does this account for the cable run down to the switchboard, which is about 6 meters long.
As long as you don't put any sockets on that section it doesn't have to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back