Is using 40-50 units of Gas each week normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just moved into a new house, where the central heating system was about 20 years old.

It was costing us a fortune, and going through about 100 units a week! We put in a brand new system, with a Worcester Greenstar 37CDi boiler. It has certainly saved us money, but we are still going through about 40-50 units of gas per week.

Only 3 of us in house, we have about 2 showers a day, and heating is only on at night normally.

We have a feeling that the Gas meter may be going round too quick, but have been told by British Gas that this is very unlikely, is that true? We just don't know...

We had a combi-boiler at our old house, and it was so much cheaper to run.

Sponsored Links
What controls do you have on the heating system/boiler?

Do you have water pre-heat , or whatever WB may call it, switched on?

I don't think there is a water pre-heat.

Currently on just a mechanical thermostat, but about to hopefully replace this a Honeywell CM907.

Hopefully this may help too.

It was costing us a fortune, and going through about 100 units a week! We put in a brand new system, with a Worcester Greenstar 37CDi boiler. It has certainly saved us money, but we are still going through about 40-50 units of gas per week.
What are the Units, cubic feet or cubic metres - it will say on the meter?

Sponsored Links
99.98% of the time it is NEVER the meter that causes high bills. They are supremely accurate, yes there are the odd ones but don't assume it is.... its the worlds easiest thing to blame

you've got a timer on it, haven't you? so it isn't running 24 hours?

And the room stat turn the heating off when it's warm, right? And proper insulation in the roof?

what temp are the rooms, and does anyone like to keep the heating on with the doors and windows open? Including internal doors?

OOI my boiler uses between 5 and 10 cu metres a day in winter when the heating is on (depending on how cold it is) and in this sort of weather, when not on all the time, between 2 and 4 cu metres a day.

I know someone who runs the heating most of the time, even in warm weather, and leaves all the internal doors open, and uses (on a n Imperial meter) 50 units a week in winter, and 10 units a week now. I believe those are in 100's of cu feet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back