Isolate radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m trying to remove a radiator before a plasterer comes to skim next week and I don’t know how to isolate the radiator. The rad has a valve that looks like this

I can get the cap off but water just pours out when I do. Anything I can do to isolate with this type of valve? Hoping I don’t have to drain the system.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What I have done in the past when I wanted to wallpaper behind a rad is to just crack both rad nuts loose which allowed me to turn the rad 90° and rest it on some books before tightening them back up. Try to keep the pipes that are coming out of the floor at the same height. Reverse the procedure to refit it. Minimal water loss but check a towel by both joints. Oh, and don’t stand on the rad....

Sponsored Links
Well thats a strange one, looks as though someone has replaced the valve innards with a blanking cap. Choices are @Mottie 's method (which will work fine with that type of radiator tail) or drain down.
I'd suggest draining down cos replacing that fitting with a lockshield valve would be a really good idea, plus if your plasterer is a bit clumsy it'll be you dealing with the wet mess

Damn it. Got 4 of these rads round the house.

Want it off because I was I want to replace it once the room is plastered. Was hoping to not involve a plumber just to get it off (no idea how to drain the system).

thanks for your help.

Time to learn ,or engage a plumber. Not difficult to drain the system ,but fitting a new rad requires new brackets / positions ,and could need amendment to the pipework.
Or do you mean refit the existing rad ?

New rad. That part is definitely a plumber job. Know how to drain the system ‘in theory’ :) but would prefer to get a plumber in to at least show me how to do it. Maybe I’ll do a bit of googling first see what I can find. Cheers all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back