isolating valves leaking at the pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak coming from the screw on the isolating valves on either side of the circulating pump. The pressure has gone to zero - I have tried repressurising the system using the filling loop, but more water comes out of the valves screws (the screw that opens and closes the valve). What could the problem be? Is it the valves or maybe the pump? The leaks stops when the boiler is running, but starts again when the boiler is switches off.

Sponsored Links
I do not know what type of valves these are - they are located on both sides of the circulating pump. The valves have a screwdriver slot to open or close the valve - this is where the leak is. As a temporary fix, could I wrap the valves in PTFE to stop the leak when I repressurise the system?

Sponsored Links
They are ball valves and notorious for leaking on the spindles.

You could try self amalgamating tape as a temporary fix until the valves can be replaced with gate type pump valves.

Valves are notorious for leaking when isolating , customers response being "they weren't leaking before you touched them"... :p

As already correctly advised these valves are absolute crap get them replaced with gate valves

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back