Isolation valve that connects cold supply to kitchen sink tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can the isolation valve leak and when turn to the off position actually stop water ?
When its in the on position it leaks a lot as you can see water trickling down the side of pipe.

Sponsored Links
They are notorious for leaking out of the slotted screw part. Make sure the nuts are nipped up properly and that it's not leaking from them and put a dab of silicone onto and around the slotted screw! (When in open position obviously!

If it's a cheap service valve then yes they will often leak through the gland seal when turned. It may stop when turned back on again. If not then a new one is required. You can bodge it, but do it correctly for the future.

It doesnt seem to be leaking from the screw though. Where the pipe for the cold supply enters the isolation valve is where it is leaking (appears to be) and then when i turn the valve, it stops!.

So the question is, can an isolation valve leak if on ? and not leak if in the stop position ? Or maybe the pipe that goes in is slight loose ? Is there a seal or olive inside one of these connectors ?

the biggest issue is, I cannot find the mains to stop the water completely. Outside on the driveway is a hole with a water meter in it. Plus a plastic tap thing which is written STOP and TAP. I tried all kinds of positions and it does not stop the water flow :S

Sponsored Links
Also, it shouldn't be, but are you sure the tap is not tank fed? Do you have a tank?

The ISO valve may just need the bottom nut nipped up if it's weeping, if it's a compression fitting. If so then there will be an olive in there.
Outside on the driveway is a hole with a water meter in it. Plus a plastic tap thing which is written STOP and TAP. I tried all kinds of positions and it does not stop the water flow :S

If the tap just keeps spinning and doesn't screw down tight then it's probably a 1/4 turn tap at the water meter, turn the tap so the head of the valve is 90deg to the direction of the pipe run.

Sorry for not getting back guys.
Manage to sort it out. Replaced the isolation in the end.

Bit of water everywhere but no more leaks.

Just have to let the kitchen dry...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back