ISP INTERNET LINE KEEPS DROPPING / CUTTING OUT & RECONN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help. My internet line keeps dropping. It is doing this sometimes every 5 minutes. I have tried everything I can think of. OneTel say they have checked the outside line so to check our line boxes in the house which we have done. I am on my 3rd new phone in 2 months as I kept blaming the cheap phones we bought. Have now bought an expensive one and low and behold its still happening.
We have a master socket in the living room for phone. A line comes from that across our hall and into the study where another socket is fitted this in turn takes the line for the internet. Whenever we receive or make a call the internet line drops and then reconnects itself. Now we can put up with this, but over the last few months its started just disconnecting itself. I dont know if this sounds strange but it seems to happen more in the evening. Its really frustrating if you are bidding for something and of course just as you click to bid the line is sure to drop, but thats not too important, the worse is if I am on my internet bank and it happens I cannot get back into the bank (obviously for security reasons) so I have log back in and then sign out.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP.

Sponsored Links
Check that you've installed the microfilters correctly.

If you're not sure what "correctly" means, then describe how you've installed them and I'll tell you whether or not it's right.

If you know how to check them, and have checked them, and you still have problems, then unplug all telephony devices except for your ADSL modem, and connect that using a brand new microfilter. If that works then you can change one thing at a time until it goes wrong, then you'll know what the cause is/was.

What are microfilters....
This is a microfilter
11DqDph7ecL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

This is another
31AV%2BDd37NL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Guide to fitting microfilters Here

Sponsored Links
In the evening when the connection drops try picking up the phone and listen, do you have a crackling/hissing noise on the line?

Hi, right firstly to Softus & Mr Warrington I now know what the filter things are I just didnt know the exact name for them so will check all these and the link provided was very good.
Secondly to tim west, no there is no crackling on the phone line it is quite clear. But one thing that is definate in that it is really only happening say from about 4pm ish. In the daytime it seems to be fine. This is why I dont understand about the filter things because surely if there was a fault it would disconnect during the day as well. I mean I have written this now with no interuptions whatsoever. This would have taken ages in the evening.
The worst thing is my son is doing alot of uni work at the moment and really needs the internet all night and the line dropping is really slowing everything down and is very, very frustrating. Can anyone explain why this happens in the evening at not the daytime. Is this really something to do with the filters.?????

You need to look at this logically:

Can you tell us what is connecting you to the net ? Router / Adsl Modem - wired or wireless? What make and model of router / modem is it?

Does the PC you have connect wirelessly or is it wired ?

Disconnect everything (including any plug in extension leads). If you have Sky make sure the phoneline from the sky box is disconnected. Now plug a filter into the master socket along with the internet line and any phone , does the modem/router disconnect?

EDIT: The lines from the master socket to the other sockets , do they plug into the master or are they actually wired in to the socket itself?

As the problem is happening from 4pm onwards and in the daytime it is ok then I would be suspecting issues with your provider or your BT line. OneTel I think is part of TalkTalk/Carphone Warehouse- which I believe is not a particularly good provider ;)

You really do need to eliminate the possibility of anything wrong at your end of the line first before blaming your provider.

If you have the NTE5 master socket like this you can remove the bottom section which reveals a "test socket".
ntefrt.jpg

Plugging your microfilter, modem into this ensures that you are connected directly to the incoming BT line. If you decide to try this way it is also worth checking what cables connections are being made.

Can you also tell us what is the claimed maximum speed of your internet connection and what you are actually getting?

it may be worth it to see if your neighbors are having the same problems,if they are it's your isp...if they arnt you've an internal problem.

it may be worth it to see if your neighbors are having the same problems,if they are it's your isp...if they arnt you've an internal problem.

Sorry my friend, but that it utter carp.

Long shot but:

Is the phone that is plugged into the master socket, first plugged into a microfilter before being plugged into the master socket?

Also have you tried swapping the micro filters?

If its happening at a set time, it could be something like the heating coming on or something else) and something is causing interference.

OR you could be put on a management scheme by your ISP and they have not told you. (has your son been downloading more than your allowance?).

Although, it is still worth asking neighbours who you know are on the same phone supply if they have had any problems, it may be something that has affected your area.

Right I'll wright this quick before my bloody line drops again. Ok. here is the set up.
The master socket is in the living room with a digital cordless phone plugged into it.
An extension comes from the living room (blast its just disconnected). This extension cable comes out across the hallway into another room where the computer is. The cable goes into an extension box on the wall.
Coming from that extension box is the Speedtouch ADSL Filter.
Coming from the filter is a small modem filter and a telephone cable with attached phone. I have only just attached this phone here to see if it made a difference so bear in mind it wasnt always there. Obviously it has made no difference as the internet is still disconnecting.
Both phones - corded and cordless are working fine.
Now. I have disconnected everything as I was told to do in an earlier post and plugged the modem into the master socket (after unscrewing the cover) to do this I HAD to used a very long modem lead going from modem direct to master socket.
The internet would not connect.
I tried it again with the ADSL filter on the lead, but again no connection.
What is the next step. I have read about the heating thing and the computer is located close to a radiator but that dosnt explain why this happened in the summer when there is no heating on. I will also add that the internet disconnects also when ever the phone is used. (think I mentioned this before?)
To answer the downloading thing with my son, then no, he downloads no where near the allowance. My speed when connected is 2.2 mbps.
this is a nuisance its just diconnected again. I feel like I have the hiccups.
So what do I do next. About the disconnection I mean NOT the hiccups.
I will await your responses eagerly. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Just another point, if any of the equipment was faulty then why the internect connect at all.
Surely if the cableing or equipements had a fault then I would NEVER be able to connect.
Also I have an ADSL wired modem - Speedtouch. and am with Onetel.
None of the neighbours are having problems.
Can someone just go through step by step how the cableing should be from my Master Socket with the phone in living room and PC in another room. PLEASE.(disconnecting) THANKS.

Can someone just go through step by step how the cableing should be from my Master Socket with the phone in living room and PC in another room. PLEASE.

My pleasure , but impossible without answering the following:

The lines from the master socket to the other sockets , do they plug into the master or are they actually wired in to the socket itself?

And I'll be even more specific. The extension from the master socket, does that plug into the master socket , or is it wired in ?

Also, when the signal drops out currently , do both lights go out on teh modem or just the adsl light ?

To BoxCleva, the extension from the master socket is wired in. We had a ''''technician'''''' to do this.
When the signal drops the USB light on the modem stays lit.
The ADSL flashers.

Sponsored Links
Back