ISP INTERNET LINE KEEPS DROPPING / CUTTING OUT & RECONN

Ok , so the setup is pretty straightforward. One filter plugged directly into the master socket and one plugged into the socket in the study. A phone and is plugged into the filter in the lounge and one in the study along with the bband cable. I am sure you will have already had it setup in this manner, so that leaves us with a few more choices.

The long extension lead you used to test the broadband using the master socket should have been plugged directly into the master socket with no filter at that end the filter should then have been plugged in at the other end of the extension lead and the broadband line directly into that filter. Can you confirm that this is exactly how you set it up?

The line from the master to the study socket may also be faulty as could either or both of the filters.

Speedtouch modems are not the best, but it clearly isnt the issue in this case , so I think we can dismiss that as a cause.

Sponsored Links
Noise on the line increases latter in the day/overnight, which can cause a loss of sync if the signal is marginal - can you access the router admin page(s) and find out the line sync/attenuation/signal to noise ratios? At a guess I would expect you have a connection which is barely supporting adsl at the moment, and the further increase in noise overnight is enough to stop the modem syncing at all...

Usually it would be your distance from the exchange, a damaged line, or a problem with your internal phone wiring/microfilters which would be the main causes of this.

hmmmm. just read that you sync at 2.2mbps - seems too high for a marginal signal. Nonetheless, if you could post your line figures off the modem, when connected to the net and if possible when you have lost the connection it would be helpful.
Also, can you post a photo of your microfilters? Some of the cheap ones are absolute rubbish and do have problems with losing connection when the phone is used.

Sponsored Links
in that case there is usually a utility that comes on cd with the modem that can tell you those stats?

Yup , it's called Dr. Speedtouch if memory serves me.

EDIT:
Now. I have disconnected everything as I was told to do in an earlier post and plugged the modem into the master socket (after unscrewing the cover) to do this I HAD to used a very long modem lead going from modem direct to master socket.
The internet would not connect.
Not surprising as no microfilter.
I tried it again with the ADSL filter on the lead, but again no connection.
This sounds like either the microfilter faulty or incorrectly installed.

My own experience (limited!) of Speedtouch 330 USB modem have not been exactly happy ones and may have some relevance to the OP's problems. The Thomson Speedtouch 330 when originally installed performed for a long time without issues. Then started to continually drop connection this happened to coincide with a speed upgrade to 2Mbps. After many complaints to my ISP the problem was resolved (to their satisfaction) by them throttling me back to 1MBps :evil:

Anecdotal evidence at that time suggested that the problem was modem firmware or driver issues not allowing the claimed speeds to be reached without problems. If this was the case then could it be so now with the newer 330's?

Have you bought a brand new (good quality) microfilter and fitted it as suggested in the first reply?

Firstly thank you for all replies.
I am having terrible trouble here.
To BoxCleva: i really want to do as you say and plug 'directly into the master socket with no filter at that end'.
I have fiddled around with the leads and filters but had no luck. I have somehow got connected again, but still having same problems.
I did do the lead to the master socket thing but I had the filter at the Master Socket end and the modem end. So, on wanting to do that I noticed a lead from the back of the PC. It is the same as my modem lead with little filters on either end. One end in the back of the PC and the other to NOTHING. (I know) I cannot figure this out. I have also noticed that on very top of this page and everyother it says 'Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by BTopenworld. well we are not with BT, we havnt had anything with them for about 12months, (since BT started putting that £4.50 charge on for paying your paper bill) we now have phone line and internet with Onetel. And when I think about it this has been happening roughly about 12 months. Now before I mess around with leads and filters again could this have anything to do with it?

I have fiddled around with the leads and filters but had no luck. I have somehow got connected again, but still having same problems.
I did do the lead to the master socket thing but I had the filter at the Master Socket end and the modem end.
That's very wrong.

So, on wanting to do that I noticed a lead from the back of the PC. It is the same as my modem lead with little filters on either end. One end in the back of the PC and the other to NOTHING. (I know) I cannot figure this out.
It's the redundant lead that you used to use for dialup Internet.

I have also noticed that on very top of this page and everyother it says 'Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by BTopenworld. well we are not with BT, we havnt had anything with them for about 12months, (since BT started putting that £4.50 charge on for paying your paper bill) we now have phone line and internet with Onetel. And when I think about it this has been happening roughly about 12 months. Now before I mess around with leads and filters again could this have anything to do with it?
No.

To BoxCleva: i really want to do as you say and plug 'directly into the master socket with no filter at that end'.

So why don't you ?

I did do the lead to the master socket thing but I had the filter at the Master Socket end and the modem end

Wrong!

One end in the back of the PC and the other to NOTHING.

Its your old dial up cable. Disocnnect it.

I have also noticed that on very top of this page and everyother it says 'Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by BTopenworld

makes no difference at all .

With respect NTSYTSYN, if you don't try what I have suggested it is impossible to help you.

Ok to Boxcleava & Softus.
I will forget that lead coming from the computer we did have dial up so you are probably right.
Are you sure the MIExplorer provided by BTopenworld is not an issue.
I really was just guessing at the 18 months timescale but have just checked my bills and the very last bill paid to BT was May 2007. Now this really does seem a coincidence. Maybe I need to change something in setting. Oh I just dont know.
But I will definately do the lead filter Master Socket thing tomorrow. I cant do it now as I will wake everyone up.
Do you think we can really sort this out.
My other half says we should just pay Onetel the £120 they want to come out and check but I say with the help of everyone on here we will sort it.
'lets hope i'm right' !!!!!

Ok to Boxcleava & Softus.
I will forget that lead coming from the computer we did have dial up so you are probably right.
There is no 'probably' about it.

Yes.

I really was just guessing at the 18 months timescale but have just checked my bills and the very last bill paid to BT was May 2007. Now this really does seem a coincidence. Maybe I need to change something in setting.
No.

Oh I just dont know.
You do know, because BoxCleva has already told you.

But I will definately do the lead filter Master Socket thing tomorrow. I cant do it now as I will wake everyone up.
Yes.

My other half says we should just pay Onetel the £120 they want to come out and check but I say with the help of everyone on here we will sort it.
That's OK - you can send us the £120 if it makes your other half happy.

'lets hope i'm right' !!!!!
Stop guessing, stop hoping, and stop finding reasons not to do the thing that BoxCleva has asked you to do.

No, I'm positive.

Maybe I need to change something in setting

No you dont.Not to fix this problem anyway.

If you do as instructed, yes. If not , no. And I can assure you your stress levels will drop dramatically if you approach this in a methodical manner and follow the advice given ;)

Damn, thats twice i have almost duplicated Softus' reply. Appologies. Must type faster!!

This is the last post for tonight.
But, are Softus and Boxcleva the same person??????
Oh and one last thing. As it is now really late the internet is now not disconnecting. So this time thing, evening thing, really does seem to have something to do with it.
Dosnt it????

Sponsored Links
Back