Issue with lock on front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, i've taken a video of what's happening with our front door at the moment.

Basically, the door handle on the inside works fine, everything as normal. However, the outside handle works to lock and unlock, but when you try to use it to actually open the door, it doesn't do anything. To open the door you need to rotate the key a little bit more, which can start to hurt your fingers as it needs quite a bit of pressure.

Also, there is a small black knob you can just see at the top of the lock on the inside, is very stiff and only moves the latch a small amount...

Any thoughts of what might need doing?

Sponsored Links
Is this one of those special security lever sets, which don't allow the handles to open the door from outside unless you use a key?

I'm not sure, but it's flipping annoying! Every time we have to use the key to actually open the door. The handle only works to lock/unlock...

I'm not familiar with that lock, but functionally, it seems similar to mine (except that I have a hardwood door with no multipoint):

You can use the inside handle to open the door from the inside

You can only get into the house using the key

You need the key to deadlock the door from the outside when you leave

I bet the little black knob is a snib for holding the latch back e.g. when you take the bins out to stop the door locking behind you when the wind blows it shut. You would have to use the inside handle to withdraw the latch, and hold it fully in, before operating the snib.

so far so good

As you appear to have a multipoint lock, the outside handle is used to set the extra bits when you are locking up from outside, or to undo the multipoint from the outside if it has been set (presumably there is too much mechanical movement for the key to do it all)

I reckon it is designed to work that way. If you have a plastic door you are doomed to have multipoint locking because the plastic is so weak and flexible :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response :) To me, it doesn't make sense at all - all that pressure on the key! I'll leave it be and not rip it all apart!

it's a lever pad handle,shouldn't be difficult to turn the key though.have you tried oiling the mechanism,or you could change the handles for a normal set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back