Issue with new Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on the following issue

Recently had a new composite front door installed. On initial inspection, the install was very good, and the installer was paid on the day.

The following day, I noticed that the door just didn't look right, it was almost as if it was lopsided.

I took some measurements, and there is a 2mm difference between the top and bottom of the door to where the glass cutout begins and whilst that doesn't sound a lot, it is noticeable to the naked eye particularly as the whole middle section of the door containing the glass appears be slightly tilted.

I brought this up with the installer who has contacted the manufacturer, at the moment, the manufacturer is saying that the difference is within the standard tolerances, but I can't believe that to be correct.

Here is a simple drawing of where the differences are to explain what I described above, can anyone comment on whether this is acceptable ?

note that the measurements are not the actual measurements, I can't remember exactly what those are, but the 2mm difference is accurate.

upload_2016-11-1_9-47-20.png

Sponsored Links
I'll measure mine and see how accurate mine is. I have to say I utterly regret going for a composite door. They are fairly pricey, do have good sound proofing, insulation and security properties, but they have all the quality feel of a caravan door. Mine shudders when closed at any moderate force despite having the frame fixers tightened.

28712979184_151848e5fe_z.jpg

I can see this getting ripped out and replaced at some point in the near future.

Have you tried placing a level on it to see if its hung badly. I'd be surprised if 1% was noticeable. Avoid dialogue with the manufacturer, your claim - if you have one is against the retailer/installer

There's no issue with how the door is installed, it is how it has been manufactured, it is most certainly noticeable, everyone I have asked has said they can see that it looks like it is tilted to the left.

Are those differences with the door sash closed in the frame , or open ? if closed , it could just need adjusting

The whole glass industry works on quite a large tolerance of +/- 3mm so I could well beleive that the manufacturer is saying it is within tolerances, can't say I'd notice a 2mm difference on a comp door ...or any door to be honest

@motorbiking , you will always have issues with shudder on that door set up , whether it is composite or Upvc. there is technically nothing keeping that frame layout 100% rigid due to where all the joiners are. the joiner directly above the door is not physically attached to the joiners down either side of the door , so those side joiners are suscepitble to Judder...It will happen on a pure PVC door too, just an unfortunate issue with that layout...obviously with wood the top joiner is fixed to the side joiners, so won't move as much ( I would still expect to see a minor amount of movement though.,..)

Sponsored Links
The difference has come about probably during the CNC routing when that particular size door was cut from the slab/blank but as Ronnie says it's within tolerance, I'm very surprised 2mm stands out as much as you say, I'd like to see a picture though if poss

@ronniecabers - yes the panel above the door was never meant to be there. it was the builder who screwed up the opening.

it does let in a lot of light but it's driving me nuts.

Crank is right that heavy glavinised steel reinforcement would have helped , but still think there would have been a bit of shudder. It certainly isn't a fault of the actual composite door though in motorbikings layout

Crank is right that heavy glavinised steel reinforcement would have helped , but still think there would have been a bit of shudder. It certainly isn't a fault of the actual composite door though in motorbikings layout

Looks like 20mm aluminum couplers (mid range strength) by the cover caps.
Even heavy duty would flex across there though. I would possibly look into removing the window and getting some heavy duty steel across there bolted to the wall and frames, The refit a slightly smaller window.

So I took some more measurements and discovered more discrepancies, please see the attached photo which hopefully explains what I'm on about.

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 89
Are the measurements from the edge of the door slab , or the internal edge of the door frame?

Have to say , without your measurements , not sure I would have noticed anything adrift from the photo

How about a photo without the dimensions? Can't say that I would notice them. No offence but your recent revelation that there are other discrepancies suggests you didn't notice them until you measured them.

No offence taken but do you think I'd be wasting my time doing this if I couldn't see something wrong ? Obviously it's subtle and viewing a photo on a computer screen is not going to show up a 5mm difference anywhere near as much as it would in real-life.

The fact of the matter is that there are the discrepancies as shown in the photo, and whether one person notices them more than another is not really the point, what I'm trying to get to the bottom of is whether legally I have to accept is as within tolerance or whether this is beyond acceptable.

Are the measurements from the edge of the door slab , or the internal edge of the door frame?

Have to say , without your measurements , not sure I would have noticed anything adrift from the photo

Measurements are from the edge of the door slab

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back