Issue with sunken floorboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just moved into a house where one of the floorboards isn't supported properly because of central heating pipes being where the board support should be.

I have attached a photo to show the problem. Is the best solution to replace both boards with ply ?

Any help very much appreciated !

Attachments

• IMG_20161028_111221456.jpg
    IMG_20161028_111221456.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
I've got around similar situations by screwing a metal plate strip to the back of the two boards, or screwing some wood to the side of the joists where possible. I think the first option is the only one that would work for you.
Plywood would probably be better on the whole, but to be honest a floor isn't high tech so any way is fine.

Age old favourite of plumbing through the second most "important" area of the joist! Seems convenient for the plumber at the time, but its taking meat out of the top chord, grrrr! John D 2.0's idea would work as a solution to the sagging board though. You could use something like 1 or 2 mm steel then cut (chisel/route) a corresponding shallow slot on the underside of the board - it doesn't even have to be on every joist, perhaps every other one (it might creak though).

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back