Issues with ceiling fan please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all stumbled across this forum and hoping someone might be able to help. We installed two ceiling fans in the house end of last summer. Both of them are connected to the main light outlet one in the bedroom one in the living room.

The living room one is fine but the one in the bedroom stopped working. So we have no light or fan in the bedroom. We would have looked into this sooner but with it being rented the landlord will not touch it and the finances are not there.

Any ideas as to why the light and fan wouldnt work?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
With the information given it's like asking length of piece of string.
Many of the fans are controlled by a remote and have some electronic control even those without a remote often have electronic control activated by switching light switch in a sequence.
There is therefore a reasonable chance something has failed within the unit.
But it also could be a simple bad connection on the fan unit.
Or even a switch failed not being suited for the load!
I can't see how anyone is going to help without a lot more information.

Thanks for respopnding ericmark, unfortunately i am just the average person trying to see if there are any checks I can do to rectify the problem, hence the post. The only way i can explain it is where my beroom light used to be, is where the ceiling fan has been put, it has it's own light fitting so the electrician who put it up used the wire from the light fitting to wire up the fan.

With no specific knowledge we took the fan down and gently made sure the wires were all in but we do not know which ones we should be concentrating on if you see what i mean.

There are two ways to turn it on, either via the wall switch or the pull cords on the fan there are two one for the light and one for the fan.

A photo of the wiring at the top of the fan and a photo of the wires in the light switch would be really useful. Turn the power off at the fusebox and unscrew the switch to reveal what kind of wiring you have.

If you can't get a photo, then you can count the cables and note the colours.

The problem could be:

Blown fuse or tripped breaker at the fusebox. This is unlikely as you probably will have noticed this already.

Loose cable at the light switch. Again unlikely, unless the light switch includes the lighting feed and has more than three wires in it.

Loose cable at the top of the fan where the lighting cable(s) are connected. There could be other cables in the ceiling above the fan which need to be checked.

Disconnected wiring loom inside the fan somewhere.

These are all visual checks. Ideally you need a meter and some electrical knowledge to work this one out. If you send photos or a description of the cables, then someone may still be able to help.

If not, then you'll need an electrician to have a look.

Sponsored Links
Thank you sparkyspike. yes i have checked the fuse box and all seems well there. Will have a look at the other things mentioned and get a photo if i can.

Thank you once again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back