Issues with removing chimneys complete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2 years ago we engaged a builder to remove our chimneys from ground and first floor. It transpired he was a cowboy who believed Building Regs did not apply to chimney removal. Unfortunately we were contracted to use him.

To avoid any issues with inadequate support, we were advised to have him also remove the breasts in the loft, and stack on roof, too. I should add this is the party wall chimney. [We have no PWA because said builder advised us it was unnecessary - and we only realised otherwise afterwards].

I recently read an article by a local structural engineer who claimed that removing chimneys complete as we did can create issues with the adjoining chimney as it is unsupported and can cause buckling or instability.

Other professionals in my house have also expressed concern that the stack is now halved in thickness and only supported by the adjoining chimney breasts.

Anything to worry about?
Please only realistic responses. I don't need scare mongering

Sponsored Links
About 2 years ago we engaged a builder to remove our chimneys from ground and first floor........also remove the breasts in the loft, and stack on roof, too........Anything to worry about?
Ask you neighbours not to slam doors, sneeze or even shout loudly.

Also, if any of their walls do collapse be prepared to part with thousands in compo'.

And if, God forbid, anyone is injured or killed be prepared to lose everything and do a stretch in prison along side the dodgy builder you employed.

1. Are you saying OP that you split the shared stack above the roofline?
2. Back in the day of Housing Grant Aided Work, and no mention of PWR's, chimney breasts were often fully, or partially, stripped from bottom to loft, including "shared " party wall c/b's.
I've never heard of a comeback.
It's definitely not the thing to do, but it was done countless times.

I've never heard of a comeback.
It's definitely not the thing to do, but it was done countless times.
No, but problems may arise should the neighbours do anything to their stack or if they already have!

Sponsored Links
Main problem that I can see is that the stack is now half the width it's supposed to be, and as such four times more likely to blow over in a gale. And that's even if the stack wasn't damaged during removal of the one side.
Not saying it will blow over, but there would be a hell of a mess if it did!

And possibly planning issues too...

Do I understand correctly that

If neighbors do nothing to their breasts or stack, the only possible problem is the stack becoming unsteady? I.e. but no issues within adjoining property

Therefore assuming.they serve a p w before they start any work I will get to know before they start and could help advise to avoid any problems

the article seemed to say that problems ARE caused within adjoining property. I can't see how.

Therefore assuming.they serve a p w before they start any work I will get to know before they start and could help advise to avoid any problem.
...or they could just do what you did.

Yes, but could it be argued that any ensuing damage would be their responsibility, as caused by their actions?

putting this aside, you haven't confirmed or clarified whether I could have caused any structural problems already by the work I have done, even before they have done any work to their chimneys?

putting this aside, you haven't confirmed or clarified whether I could have caused any structural problems already by the work I have done, even before they have done any work to their chimneys?
The chances are that if the building has survived strong winds, snow, rain, etc for a reasonable amount of time then you may be ok structurally, but this is no guarantee.

The chances are that if the building has survived strong winds, snow, rain, etc for a reasonable amount of time then you may be ok structurally, but this is no guarantee.

Taken from this page...
Where a stack forms a buttress, the wall must be checked for stability by a structural engineer. This will apply where the chimney is in a long wall without another brick wall at 90 degrees to it, other than any returning external walls. In the case of a two storey building the wall must not exceed 9m without a buttress, and in the case of a single storey building 12m.
So it would seem that there shouldn't be any issues structurally with the stability of the wall...especially with the neighbouring flue remaining. As I said before, I'd be more worried about the bit above the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back