Issuing Minor Works Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I install a fused spur for an Intruder Alarm Panel and it is Spured of an Existing Ring Final Circuit would I need to test the whole circuit or just the new cable and spur I have installed?
My concern is that our company installs Intruder Alarms and I the electrician install a fused connection unit where the panel will be installed, if i test the whole circuit and find I get insufficient test results the customer is then going to think where just screwing them for more work! Where they origionally got a quote for installation of an intruder alarm they will now have to pay more to correct any issues on the mains wiring for me to issue a minor works!
What would be the normal practice??
Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
It's only your work that you're certifying as compliant with BS 7671, so it's only your work that you have to test.

You do have to bear in mind 131.8 though, and how you'll comply with RCD protection for concealed cables, which may entail wider work at the CU.

You also need to think how you'll handle the "you're trying to screw me for more work" objection if the earthing and bonding is sh**e, or if when you test your addition you find the loop value is out of range because of existing faults on the circuit, or polarity is wrong etc.

If you spur off a ring, you need to prove it's a ring and not a spur iteself- (unless you spur directly from the CU.)

"recommend full periodic test" under recommendations on the cert is always advisable when there's any doubt, covers yer back and all that.

Sponsored Links
If I were doing this work I would issue a MWC (and notify where necessary) which would involve testing the ring and the supply. It doesn't take long. Any problems such as high Ze would have to be addressed. Usually I would quickly test Zs and check MEB before starting. Ideally I wouldn't be putting alarms on a ring final.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back