It’s all your fault if you are a man

Reclaim our streets has to be in all our interests.
Reclaim the streets because 1 lunatic murdered someone.1752 people died on our roads in 2019.Chances of a random stranger doing this is v v rare. Yet media hype and peoples views of risk blow this way out of proportion..AS motorbiking said...All men are not the problem...Anymore than All motorists are.Curfew Allmen? Stop all cars.?

Sponsored Links
My little girl will be starting big school in September. I worry sick as she now has longer to walk and she will eventually take the short cut that's through a small wooded area.

I worry about Mrs Bod walking the Dog in the morning. Behind us is a brook/ meadow/ small forest. People are camping in there. Sure they are not a risk but as said yhe fear is greater than the reality.
What is also sad is people are now fearful of intervening for whatever reason...

Should your girl have a problem on the walk to school, would you accept that now many wouldn't help out because of the fear of their 'motives' being questioned?

And would you likewise help out a girl in such a situation (or not) without thinking twice?

Women are of course victims of violence and that should be tackled.
But the balance has swung too far imo with disastrous consequences, so in many situations men are assumed to be 'dodgy' regardless!

It is tough. We all want to live in a perfect society, but unless there is some sort of radical change in the way we all live, with proper welfare, education, support at all levels, all ages, then that will never happen. The crimes are committed by people, who were once children of parents, and many are failed somewhere along the line - people brought up well with kindness, wealth and access to support are rarely the criminals, so we need, ideally, to get to the root cause - what makes men, and women sometimes, act like this?

But, and this is the unpopular thought - people do need to protect themselves too. If you accept that there are rapists in the world, you must protect yourself from them. I have lived in some rough areas in my time, and I have avoided being mugged, whereas a friend has been robbed several times. If you have nice things, you hide them, you leave them at home if you can - you don't walk through Harringay or parts of Coventry with a flashy watch showing in the middle of the night, because you will get targeting if you do. Women should not have to cover up, I certainly would not ever want that to be a rule, but women do need to understand when they are putting themselves at risk. A pervert, rapist etc. is like a burglar - they are often opportunist, looking for an easy target. Drunk girl, bit wobbly, skirt, on her own - easy target. Woman walking assertively, jeans - not an easy target.

But that is not a popular opinion - people want women to be safe from male predators, and also want women to be able to act however they want. Until we can be sure to properly educate every boy and man, and monitor and check they are all of sound mind, and intervene when people show signs of perverted behaviour and thoughts, then we won't be able to stop some minority of men from acted the way they do.

What is also sad is people are now fearful of intervening for whatever reason...

Should your girl have a problem on the walk to school, would you accept that now many wouldn't help out because of the fear of their 'motives' being questioned?

And would you likewise help out a girl in such a situation (or not) without thinking twice?

But the balance has swung too far imo with disastrous consequences, so in many situations men are assumed to be 'dodgy' regardless!
Blimey, i agree with Ellal. That must be at least twice now :)

It is a sad situation that many men would not get involved for fear of being accused of something if they've misread an interaction.

Interesting how mindsets have changed with time though. Discussing this with my 74 year mother last night, she said she'd be flattered if someone wolf whistled at her. A younger generation would class a wolf whistle as sexual harassment.

That being said, none of my circle of friends would ever wolf whistle at a women or grope them. I just do not understand why some men think they can get away with groping a women, let alone think its acceptable.

Nor do i understand why some men get a thrill from 'flashing' at women.

However, as with many things, the actions of a minority of men are creating a unfair perception of the majority.

I do also wonder if the very strong reaction to the terrible murder of this women is partially because people have nothing else to do. Thankfully, a women being murdered is not a common occurrence, but nor is it so uncommon or shocking that it requires a mass protest in defiance of all the current coronavirus transmission limiting rules.

Sponsored Links
Reclaim the streets because 1 lunatic murdered someone.1752 people died on our roads in 2019.Chances of a random stranger doing this is v v rare. Yet media hype and peoples views of risk blow this way out of proportion..AS motorbiking said...All men are not the problem...Anymore than All motorists are.Curfew Allmen? Stop all cars.?

Totally with you... but we have needed to reclaim our streets years back... not just for women but for all of us.

ALL LIVES MATTER

I'm not a big fella but I've got plenty of front. I have in the past intervened. I'm not so tough these days but I will always interven or at least I like to think I would.

The police station down the old town is up for sale....... I don't care if this is the Tory's
It's nut that we have no police stations open.

It is of course right that males should respect females and vice versa. I also agree with more education around respecting others. However to think any of this will stop those predisposed to commit such crimes is, to me, slightly naïve. We're seeing things such as females saying they feel threatened if a male jogs past them. On one level I totally see that. So the proposed solution is that the male should take proactive action and cross the street when jogging past. Fine. However what does the male do if there happens to be a female walking along either side of the street? Jog down the middle of the road? To immediately and slightly contradict myself, of course males should give females space where possible to mitigate such feelings, however as others have touched on we need to ensure the reality around this isn't mixed up in media stirred hysteria.

You can have more awareness about x crime being wrong, you can educate, you can do whatever. However many of those predisposed to commit x crime will still be inclined to do so for a variety of factors too lengthy to go into here.

I'm not religious but we are all gods people.

Men women and children need protection.

Those that harm our friends and family need to be dealt with in the country's interest.
The looney left need to stop protecting criminals.

ALL LIVES MATTER

I'm not a big fella but I've got plenty of front. I have in the past intervened. I'm not so tough these days but I will always interven or at least I like to think I would.
If by intervene you mean saying for example seeing an assault happening and feel able to help out, then no problem in my book...

But find a young girl in distress, as a lone male would you find it a difficult choice?

In my partner's country they don't have this problem...

Because they still have a 'society', and guilt is not assumed...

The UK does it differently - arrest and question later.
Thus assuming guilt and it's up to the person to prove otherwise...

No wonder most just pass on by!

The looney left

Why does it always come down to this? I don't know a single labour voter that wants to protect criminals, why does it get repeated in just about every discussion here?

The police station down the old town is up for sale....... I don't care if this is the Tory's
It's nut that we have no police stations open.

Local police stations have been sold off for a number of years, started before Tories, both Witham and canvey island stations were closed by labour. Though let's be honest regardless of the party in charge no doubt will have closed regardless.

This has been happening throughout the country, there is no longer local stations, they are all now situated in large towns covering multiple areas. Police paperwork has increased substantially, technology has made things more difficult for them and decades of under funding have put them at a disadvantage.

You just don't see police on the street anymore.

Also what doesn't help is lack of community spirit and respect, not like the days when everyone knew each other and everyone looked out for each other, which helped reduce a lot of crime.

If by intervene you mean saying for example seeing an assault happening and feel able to help out, then no problem in my book...

But find a young girl in distress, as a lone male would you find it a difficult choice?

In my partner's country they don't have this problem...

Because they still have a 'society', and guilt is not assumed...

The UK does it differently - arrest and question later.
Thus assuming guilt and it's up to the person to prove otherwise...

No wonder most just pass on by!

It's easy to presume it's the man. In fairness every time I've intervened it's man on man or girl on girl.
I'd like to think I'd read the situation well and do what ever I thought to be right at the time.

Sponsored Links
Back