it pays to walk

B

breezer

I needed a new sd memory (bigger) card for my camera. went to PC world* 512mb £39.99 WALKED over the road to Currys*, 1gb card (same brand) £34.99

and i thought they were both owned by the same company, and no it was not on special offer.

it pays to walk.

* I know, but i like to see it to make sure i have the right bit of kit, can't do that on line

Sponsored Links
thats not my one.

I did also mention i know its cheaper on lne, but as i sdaid untill i have 1 iklike to see what it looks like

and i really would have been done if i had got it from pc world

I know that you can get loads of stuff cheaper online but sometimes you get an idea into your head and have to have whatever it is you want there and then, not wait 3 days for it to come!

Sorry, I'm just inpatience!!

Sponsored Links
So why not go to PC world, find out what it is you need and order it online? You said it was an SD card - that was an SD card.

Tim 77 said:
I know that you can get loads of stuff cheaper online but sometimes you get an idea into your head and have to have whatever it is you want there and then, not wait 3 days for it to come!

I know what you mean Tim, but £35 is daylight robbery.

True, I paid around seven pounds for a 2GB card for my Nokia N73 online, shops around here wanted around forty pounds for just a 1GB card!!

gcol said:
Tim 77 said:

Perhaps their prices are higher because they have to maintain their shop so that people can mince in there, review the products, ask questions, get free advice, and then waft back out again to order the product of their choice from an on-line retailer. :rolleyes:

PC world will discount in the store if you order over the phone using the price on the website, then you can immediately go and pick up the discounted item from your local one.

Mind you for memory cards sticks etc i've always found www.mymemory.co.uk to be reasonably priced.

Softus said:
gcol said:
Tim 77 said:

Perhaps their prices are higher because they have to maintain their shop so that people can mince in there, review the products, ask questions, get free advice, and then waft back out again to order the product of their choice from an on-line retailer. :rolleyes:
Well it's true that you expect to pay more in a store, and sometimes I do buy from a store - I fully understand the overhead issue. What I take issue with, is being charged in excess of 10 times the price that an online store is charging. They deserve everything they get.

gcol said:
They deserve everything they get.
As Sir Alan Sugar famously observed on Wednesday's show - businesses exist purely to make a profit, and moral judgments about pricing are misplaced.

PC World has a market, and is successful in that market. For that, I respect them. However, I find that there's no overlap whatsoever between PC World's customers and mine, the latter preferring a high quality service with a personal touch, with knowledge that they can have a full refund on anything I supply, or do, that doesn't suit their needs.

gcol said:
Softus said:
However, I find that there's no overlap whatsoever between PC World's customers and mine...
I'll bet PC World are thanking their lucky stars. :LOL:
:LOL:

Theres a PC world and a Currys next door to each other half a mile from my house. Always interesting to see the different deals they have on laptops and PCs. They both opened together in new units too. :confused: Interestingly, I have bought a PC from Currys and a telly from PC world. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back