It's now official

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Department of the environment admitted last evening on South West News that they do not dredge rivers any more, they are not interested in stopping floods only building flood defences. The reaon being that it is harmful to wildlife (and the climate change myth) to dredge rivers, but what about all the land wildlife (and farm animals) that perish in flooded fields.

Sponsored Links
English nature have won the day and prefer bird's to people and farm land they are pretty unapologetic about that, check out their web site

Its been known for years that they dont dredge rivers anymore - It was ok for hundreds of years to do it, but the do gooders and green peace type have brought about the end of it. Absolute rubbish.

They should be prosecuted. Or they should pay for peoples home insurance in flood areas.

Sponsored Links
I would say quite difficult in this country.

We have a love for houses and our own land and consider high rise flats as something that only the jobless or poor live in. Alot of high rise flats have given a stereo type to all - slums and ghettos. (in the popular areas of big cities this is not the case....i am well aware of that)

However, in alot of cases abroad, high rise flats and apartments are the norm especially in ex communist countries. They can house, for example, 30 families in the same footprint that only 4 or 5 houses can do here. Thus, the need for entire land masses covered in houses is not necessary and flood plains can be left bare. These flats are by no means disgusting slums and pig stys as became much of the ones here in the UK. Size wise, the usual is about 80-90 square meters. My 3 bed semi is 88 square meters.

If we built like that, then there would be much more green belt and bare flood plain.

There are some genius minds on here with deep thinking insight into how to deal with our flooding rivers and our countries' housing problem.

Dredge the rivers - utter brilliance.

In school, during the late 60's early 70's we were shown a film made in the 50's about how altering the natural coastline had a very dramatic effect on somewhere else. By building something as simple as a breakwater or a pier the tidal behaviour in that area was changed which then had a knock-on effect further along the coast. This change further along the coast would ultimately have a lesser effect on another place further along the coast and so on. Each Knock on effect would be smaller as they progressed but if you consider that major restructuring may be taking place at many locations around the British Isles they would all have effects elsewhere as well as the place they were taking place in.
Basically the moral behind the film was if you mess with one thing you will also be inadvertently be messing with many others. The consequence of which will only become apparent at some time in the future. That time in the future appears to have arrived.

Build houses on brick piers like they do in Oz. Simples. You get a wet lawn mower and tumble dryer if you are too late moving them - but that's as bad as it gets.

Modern farming and the concreteing over off millions of acres of land has effectively created the flood plains.

No soakaway!

Take spreading slurry. It kills off the natural ability of the ground to soak heavy rainfall.
So it goes straight to the river.
And dredging would make no difference.

We live on a flood plain that last flooded in the 1940's when there was a massive snow fall that all melted in one day.They then built an embankment that holds it back. Job done. (we hope)
Then me and my missus come along and buy our home in 1981 in this small village and never even thought about the river over 2km away. Yes we should have checked but it was rare to see flooding in the county we live in back then and you never heard of it like you do now. Nowadays it is an automatic reflex to check.
I only found about the flood when looking at old photos on show in the village hall. There are 180 homes here and it was only the half a dozen nearest to the river that got flooded. Fast forward to 2007 and we find we are in a red area :(
But here is the point of my rambling post, we had to fight to stop the local authorities trying to grant planning permission for another 30 houses just down the lane from us. They seem to look the other way and let things pass despite what the future may hold.

We live on a flood plain that last flooded in the 1940's when there was a massive snow fall that all melted in one day.They then built an embankment that holds it back. Job done. (we hope)
Then me and my missus come along and buy our home in 1981 in this small village and never even thought about the river over 2km away. Yes we should have checked but it was rare to see flooding in the county we live in back then and you never heard of it like you do now. Nowadays it is an automatic reflex to check.
I only found about the flood when looking at old photos on show in the village hall. There are 180 homes here and it was only the half a dozen nearest to the river that got flooded. Fast forward to 2007 and we find we are in a red area :(
But here is the point of my rambling post, we had to fight to stop the local authorities trying to grant planning permission for another 30 houses just down the lane from us. They seem to look the other way and let things pass despite what the future may hold.

my story is about thew same ,the insurance company's get a bit twitchy after thev'e had a hammering in America there was some talk on the radio about the insurance companys wanting the governement to help with the bail out if we get a big dissaster or they might not insurehomes in areas at risk but Idont no how that will spin out???

Sponsored Links
Back