I've been stung!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I placed some stuff on Gum Tree, I had a load of replies by way of text, so far so good, I then get a £5 bill on my phone, unbeknown to me, at least one of the enquiries used a number that charged me to text back, I assume I can Google this to see what numbers make a charge, but be warned if you advertise be careful who you make a return text to...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tip Pred.
Presumably the recipient of the text gets the £5.
That is a naughty scam, it could be maybe £100 for a text, if they can do it for £5 they could do it for any amount.
The provider should prevent such fraud, could you get your money back from your 'phone provider?

Yes, the government are talking (that's all they seem to do, isn't it?) about making fuel tariffs more clear. Perhaps they should be doing something about telephone charges.

Since we went with Vonage (a VOIP), I have taken the trouble to make a comprehensive list of the charges they make for all numbers. Although I am now quite clear about which ones to avoid like the plague (09- are the worst), I can see how many people could be conned into calling potentially very expensive numbers.

Another thing I do now is consult:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

to avoid using 07- and 08- numbers, some of which charge through the nose. Many supposedly honest companies and organisations still use such numbers whilst a quick look will often find a cheaper alternative. For example, my arrangement with Vonage provides free calls to all 01-, 02- and 03- numbers, most of which can be found as alternatives to 07- and 08- numbers; the companies involved just 'forget' to mention those numbers on their adverts!

I have used saynoto0870 for a number of years now and it is a source of useful numbers. The site is free and it encourages user to add their own alternative numbers if they know any.
Unfortunately the site does not seem to be updated as quite a few of the numbers listed are no longer available, but it is still a great site.
I have always been very wary of 09 and any premium rate numbers, and as such never ever use them unless I have no other option and it is a must to get in touch with them.

Sponsored Links
Of course we are all aware that the police non-emergency number 101 attracts a special call rate as well BT charge 15p !!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Of course we are all aware that the police non-emergency number 101 attracts a special call rate as well BT charge 15p !!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

I'm glad you mentioned that. I've just checked and, on my tariff, I pay 15p for connection but the rest of the call is free.

Could be worse. :D

Back