Iv'e built a time machine.

Sponsored Links
tim west said:
--- but with artistic license as they say, if you could, would you?

I would start out thinking that it's better not to know the future :cool: :cool: :cool: but I suspect that a combination of curiosity and too much Carlsberg Special would eventually win the day. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But the answer isn't that simple. If I can see the future, it's inevitable that this will affect what I do in the present - but that will change the future. :confused: :confused: :confused: And It gets worse, because if I can see the future then so can you - and so can everybody else! :eek: :eek: :eek:

We are used to the idea of knowing the past, and this affects what we do in the present, but the past is static (though our perception of it may vary over time). Our present actions don't feed back into the past and change it. How different it would be if we could also see the future. I suggest that with so many people all basing their present actions on what they see in the future, it would change so rapidly that there would be nothing to see at all! :mad: :mad: :mad:

but that will change the future.

If you were to believe that the future has already happened, then you can,t change it.
What you did now, to try and change the future,will have already happened in the future, if you get my drift.

But as I have said before, if you believe the future has already occurred,
then you are a robot, and free will is an illusion, your future is predetermined.......... :cry:

Yes, their is a past, because you can remember it. But belief in an existing future, lies firmly in the realms of Sci-Fi.

Sponsored Links
Yes, their is a past, because you can remember it. But belief in an existing future, lies firmly in the realms of Sci-Fi.
That's exactly what someone who wants to keep the future a secret would say. :evil:

trazor said:
If you were to believe that the future has already happened, then you can,t change it. What you did now, to try and change the future,will have already happened in the future, if you get my drift.

If I read this right, you're saying that any attempt to change the future has already been allowed for and, indeed, is necessary if the future is to happen in its predetermined way. This idea was put to good use in an episode of Red Dwarf. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I don't believe in a predetermined future. Let's face it; we aren't particularly good at predicting tomorrows weather! :( :( :( You might think that if we could see into the future we would at least be able to get the weather forecast right but it's not that simple. Upon seeing what tomorrow's weather was going to be, some of us would change our actions and, if the butterfly theory is correct, this would change the weather! :mad: :mad: :mad:

As for all that free will stuff, there are those who claim free will as a God given right :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and others who claim that all our futures are predetermined by chemical reactions in our brain cells. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: As a physicist I would knock their heads together and shout HEISENBERG into the lined up ear-holes! :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back