Iv'e built a time machine.

The real problem with time travel of course is that we don't actually have anyway of computing the co-ordinates even in 3 dimensions, never mind four.
Oh, so that's the "real" problem with time travel.

And there was me, thinking that the main difficulty lies in breaching the chasm between the popularised understanding of Einsteinian physics, with its attendant glib adoption of the phrase "4th dimension", and the reality of harnessing the physical forces offered by the universe to achieve something that's intuitively ridiculous.

Sponsored Links
I thought that the astronauts had already time travelled?

Hi, tim,
I wasn't thinking of the time dilation effect of relativity with regard to speed, and the observer/observed paradox.
I think that is a different thing to 'classiclal' S.F. type time travel.

Sponsored Links
Hi, tim,
I wasn't thinking of the time dilation effect of relativity with regard to speed, and the observer/observed paradox.
I think that is a different thing to 'classiclal' S.F. type time travel.
But only because we are talking of much slower speeds compared to SF where the Star ship Enterprise has to speed to warp 9 and beyond in order to achieve decent time travelling.

chessspy said:
So movement in time of even a seconds could and would mean that the traveller would end up in space somewhere.

My time machine moves with the Earth - as long as its wheels stay on the ground! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

chessspy said:
So movement in time of even a seconds could and would mean that the traveller would end up in space somewhere.

My time machine moves with the Earth - as long as its wheels stay on the ground! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
The old Tardis was on wheels simply so they could push it around the studios :LOL:

The old Tardis was on wheels simply so they could push it around the studios :LOL:
I prefer to believe that the T.A.R.D.I.S was real, so moving it around was easy, although it took several goes (and several Dalek wars) to end up in the right place at the right time. ;)

If you had a time machine would you go forward to see when you were going to die? would the temptation be too great?

tim west said:
If you had a time machine would you go forward to see when you were going to die?

It wouldn't work. You could sit in your time machine watching the future happen but you couldn't watch yourself getting older - because you're not out there; you're in your time machine! :) :) :)

What you're asking for is a machine that can bring information backwards through time from the future - which hasn't happened yet - to the present. I don't think you can do that. :( :( :(

tim west said:
If you had a time machine would you go forward to see when you were going to die?

It wouldn't work. You could sit in your time machine watching the future happen but you couldn't watch yourself getting older - because you're not out there; you're in your time machine! :) :) :)

What you're asking for is a machine that can bring information backwards through time from the future - which hasn't happened yet - to the present. I don't think you can do that. :( :( :(
good point, but with artistic license as they say, if you could, would you?

Sponsored Links
Back