I've put too much pressure in my Greenstar 24i/28i boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I noticed the pressure on my boiler was below the recommended level so I topped it up but it must have kept on rising beyond what I had intended and is now just above bar 3. The PRV at the back of the house is leaking and I have bled all my radiators but only water comes out. when the water comes out the pressure decreases but then slowly rises back to bar 3 again. Please can someone tel me what I should do? I feel so stupid!!!!

Sponsored Links
Keep bleeding a rad until the pressure stays low. Make sure you have the tap turned off so it's not still pressurising...

Keep bleeding a rad until the pressure stays low. Make sure you have the tap turned off so it's not still pressurising...

Hi - I checked and it's definitely off. I must have take out 2 buckets of water last night but the level has risen to where it was before?

Was the boiler running when you topped the pressure up? It shouldn't be.

Ideally the boiler should be topped up when the water is cold.

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the flexible filler loop to the boiler and bleed until the pressure is at the correct level.

Andy

when did you noticed the pressure was low, was it when the heating was
off and you found it wouldn't turn on by any chance?
if so there may be a problem with the expansion vessel
best bet is to set the pressure cold, see if it holds for a while then turn on the heating and see if the pressure rises

Turn off the mains stopcock to the house. Turn off heating.
Vent water from rad until back to 1 bar system pressure at boiler.
Run heating: any change in system pressure inside 20 minutes? (10% is O.K.,more and suspect expansion vessel.
If OK turn off heating, turn on mains water. Monitor system pressure. If it rises you have a filling loop issue (valve not closed) or a defective heat exchanger.

Is your filling valve under the boiler to which you have to insert a plastic key and then turn a littler white square knob ??

Run heating: any change in system pressure inside 20 minutes? (10% is O.K.,more and suspect expansion vessel.
If OK turn off heating, turn on mains water. Monitor system pressure. If it rises youu have a filling loop issue (valve not closed) or a defective heat exchanger.

The stopcock appears to be feeding a gas cylinder with the filler valve on the other side. Do you mean turn this off or should there be another? Can I turn off the water stopcock to the house if we're not sure...would that work in the same way?

If OK turn off heating, turn on mains water. Monitor system pressure. If it rises youu have a filling loop issue (valve not closed) or a defective heat exchanger.

The stopcock appears to be feeding a gas cylinder with the filler valve on the other side. Do you mean turn this off or should there be another? Can I turn off the water stopcock to the house if we're not sure...would that work in the same way?

Sorry I just read your msg again and you said the house! We'll give it a go as this seems quite straight forward. Thanks

If OK turn off heating, turn on mains water. Monitor system pressure. If it rises you have a filling loop issue (valve not closed) or a defective heat exchanger.

I did the first bit and it went back up to 3 with the heating on. Any thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back