I've stained my front door now I'm freezing!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be a bad thing if I used a heatgun to try and dry woodstain faster? Would it crack and craze, would it oxidise, would it run everywhere and look rubbish afterwards? :confused:

I had to fit a new weather bar to my door frame, and whilst the door was out of the frame I thought I would give it a spruce up. I prepped properly and used Sadolin wood stain (was really good stuff last time I used it... on a warm summer's day...).

It is 7:30, the stain is still wet (some hours later) and it is currently 2 degrees celsius. It was about 8-degrees when I applied the stain, and the tin said not to use it below 5 degrees...

So, in order to improve drying time, I was wondering if I could use my electric heatgun (the hairdryer-on-steroids type), and would it be worth the hassle?

Feel free to call me a silly chilly boy, but only if you have some useful advice too :p

I just need to get it dry enough that I can refit it to the frame, and close it for the night without the door glueing shut.

Sponsored Links
might help to open the door about 70 degrees
secure a board to the outside point a fan heater from about7ft towards the door
or if theres a radiator nearby that may give enough heat you need to raise the teperature towards the mid teens but evenly and slowly

this is assuming its inward opening

Cheers Big-all!

After posting, I tried the heatgun thinking "if it knackers the finish I'll just redo it another day".

Heatguns don't help dry sadolin!

By about 8:30 I bit the bullet, put LOTS of newspaper down on the hallway carpet and reinstalled the door, still wet.

I did think first of course: When trimming the door I had ensured a uniform gap around the door all the way around, and as I hadn't yet painted the exterior-facing surface I realised that if the door glues itself shut, it will be minimal.

Now, can you imagine how fun it is trying to carry a 100lb door, with all the side bits covered in highly-pigmented oil, into a hallway with white walls, white ceiling, white carpet? :LOL:

Wore latex gloves so after getting it into position I ditched them and got the screws in.

Fortunately not quite one for DIY Disasters, but could have gon either way! And now the hypothermia has cleared up nicely... I honestly do not know how the homeless can survive the winter. Just a day of being cold was awful.

i take it it was outside the a w :LOL:

if it was inside a bit off 12mm ply would be filling the gap here ;)

Sponsored Links
Yup, twas my front door, onto the street!

My dad gave me a ticking off for trying to use wood stain on a winter's afternoon, but unfortunately the job really did have to be done (I'm getting ready to sell)

By the way, here's a fun trick to play: get a splodge of Sadolin/woodstain on your skin somewhere. Just a little bit. Then when you get into bed with your wife/girlfriend and she starts pointing, say "Yes, it's a birthmark... how long have we been married and you've NEVER spotted it?!?!"

Really does look like birthmarks, and I fear it will last about as long!!!

right once youve chiseled the door out today ;)
lets hope the rain helps it dry :eek:
or hopfully its warm and sunny where you are today ;)

I've just checked, and whilst the stain is still wet (luckily on the interior side of the door... I realised I could do the exterior side still on the frame later on!), it hasn't run or dripped. So, I just need to be VERY careful when going indoors or out.

The step (which I also stained) has got wet, but the water has beaded and sat on the surface.

Wish it was 30 degrees and sunny!:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back