Jack Rafter hip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

So have got my building reg drawings. All good and have distributed to a few builders for quotes.

As ever I am inquisitive about things and was wondering what dictates the eaves overhang on a Jack Rafter hip roof.

I obviously don't want any overhang onto my neighbours property and was wondering can the overhang be as much or as little as you like?

Who controls this the designer or the builder?

Sponsored Links
Who controls this the designer or the builder?
Where there are no nearby comparable soffits, then you use a common sense practical approach. There is also the relationship with the soffit regards window heads (if applicable) to consider. Lastly, the pitch of the roof and the finished height of the brick-work can also have a bearing, in that, as you shorten the rafter you would in turn raise the soffit height to prevent showing an overly deep fascia.

However, the whole eaves detail is largely cosmetic and can be tailored to suit.

Thanks.

The illustrations in the building regs I have show quite an overhang but assume these are probably generic images.

Basically on the flank side we can't have a big over hang as there isn't much room to play with.

Basically on the flank side we can't have a big over hang as there isn't much room to play with.
If it is a hip roof with a continuous soffit then you either have the same overhang all round or you have a stunted soffit down that one side only and will need to cobble the tile courses and fascia etc, on that particular elevation to suit.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming the issue is because the flank wall is close to the boundary. I have used a flush eaves in that situation, so it is only as deep as the fascia board but don't forget you also need to allow for the guttering, which should not overhang the boundary. As noseall said above that results in the eaves and soffits being uneven but it is doable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back