Jamaica house electrics: mother-in-law house. Unfinished.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm visiting my m-i-l who is Jamaican. She has a very nice house built here. It's finished and all signed off, but some jobs aren't finished. Unfortunately getting electrician back to finish off one or two jobs is proving impossible. Standards here are more lax than in the UK. (The regs may be as tight, but not many people adhere to them).

So, some pics for you. I'm probably going to have to try and make right the unfinished bits cos we have grandchildren etc visiting

live exposed wires on the backup water generator: (The part I'm holding is the same as the one on the generator. It was replaced, but for some reason not the cover?)

Photo0184.jpg

Photo0185.jpg

quite a few open conduit corners:

Photo0186.jpg

None of the (4) air-con units have been totally finished. All are operational though:

Photo0191.jpg

Photo0192.jpg

Photo0194.jpg

Photo0195.jpg

Don't know what these do:

Photo0196.jpg

They are all at ground level and accessible to prying fingers:

Photo0197.jpg

Here's the fusebox in the garage. It's hard to read any labels as they're written on masking tape, and not all are labelled.

Photo0200.jpg

Photo0201.jpg

Here's the house. It's nice:

Photo0198.jpg

Sponsored Links
On holiday there earlier this year, the hotel had a curious mixture of UK & US electrics!!
I even saw where someone had trimmed the plates of two UK 1g switches to make them fit together - horizontally

a curious mixture of UK & US electrics!!

My thoughts immediately upon looking at those pictures - BS1363 sockets and U.K.-looking conduit fittings, with brown/blue cables, but that distribution panel is distinctly North American.

What is the supply to the house - 120/240V 1-phase 3-wire?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back