Jammed SDS bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well - not actually a bit, it's a chuck adapter, but the principle is the same.

It's jammed in, and won't come out. Any tips for removing the thing from the SDS+ chuck?

Sponsored Links
Been trying that.

On closer inspection, the problem might be more serious - I don't think the collar moves back far enough to release the shank.....

Ban all, when I had that a couple of years back it was a trip to the local tool shop and got it sent away. Sorry man.

Woody

Sponsored Links
hold the release back and hit out with a hammerone of our drills does it all the time with a SDS+ adapter

Have you got the main chuck off the drill if so do as has been said hold back the relase sleeve and knock it out from the back with something suitable.Remember to lube your chuck regularly it really does make a difference. It is possible you may have displaced one of the ball bearings in the chuck hence it is jammed it may be possible to repair it if this is the case, but i have found from past experience, that once this has happened it will be prone to happening again.
A new chuck only costs about £25.

It's the old RTFM problem, I'm sorry to say, and thanks for the advice and sorry to have wasted your time and I'll get my coat... :oops:

What I thought was an adapter stuck in the SDS+ tool holder, like this:

p3150569_x.jpg

(only mine is keyless) turns out to be a complete replacement for the SDS toolholder. So to remove it you don't pull back the collar and pull out a thingy with an SDS shaft on it, you grasp and twist what looks like the collar, and the whole thing comes off.

Like this:

chuck.jpg

Even though I said thanks for the advice, I'm glad I didn't follow that which said to hit it with a hammer... ;)

Same problem with me, brand new as well, took it back to the shop, they made a few banging noise in the bench vice, since then it been alright. Sorry didn't see how they did it.

Ahh, didn't see your post! I try and remember that one.

ban-all-sheds said:
Like this:

chuck.jpg

Even though I said thanks for the advice, I'm glad I didn't follow that which said to hit it with a hammer... ;)

lol. its easier if you put it in hammer only to get them out - stops it turnin so you can turn the chuck loose

ban-all-sheds said:
Once I RTFM'd, it came out as easy as pie...

but RTFM is always a last resort... after youve spent 6 hours ****in about with it

ban-all-sheds said:
And got black dribbly penetrating oil gunge on the carpet..... :(
should have been usin dust sheets!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back