Standard SDS Drill Bit into an SDS Plus Chuck?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI wonder if someone can tell me if a standard sds bit will fit into an sds Plus chuck?

I know the flutes are longer and I believe there are more of them on a plus bit but will a standard bit fit the plus chuck?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
SDS (if you can actually find one) and SDS+ are compatible.

Not to be confused with SDS Max, which is entirely different.

SDS (if you can actually find one)

Indeed.

Maverick, if you are sure that's what you have, please upload some decent pictures of the shank. There is almost nothing out there in Google-land and lots of conflicting information on the differences. No-one seems to even agree what SDS stands for!! Some definitive proof would be nice. :)

The best I've been able to find is this shot of some original Hilti SDS bits. (I think... unless it was Hilti's own preliminary version before they collaborated with Bosch on the design).

AntiqueHiltiSDS.jpg

Does this match your recollection flameport? It had the round ended 'closed grooves' but not the 'open grooves'.

Gaz :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys I was confused. It was the SDS Plus and SDS Max bits i'd seen.
About to buy my first SDS Rotary Drill after my 20yr old trusty Black & Decker failed to drill a decent hole for a sheild anchor bolt in a house brick.

Think i've just about got my head around it all now.

That's the ones

Thanks, that's what I thought the difference was. While googling, I even found a few Americans saying the diameter of the original SDS was different. Arguing about them being 400 thou' instead of 10mm!! SDS is German, of course they're in millimetres!! :eek::rolleyes:

I also notice in the photo, the base appears to have a 'dog point', like some faceplate/grub screws, rather than the 45° chamfered edge base I've only ever seen.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back