Japanese Knotweed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

A bit worried about this on the front of our property and wondering whether it's Japanese knotweed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5553 copy.jpg
    IMG_5553 copy.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
Copied from a commercial website

How to identify Japanese knotweed in Spring​

Like many species of weed, the Knotweed is very active during the spring months. This is a good time to watch for signs of Knotweed growth in your garden or business premises.
New growth appears as rapidly growing soft red/purple shoots reminiscent of asparagus spears. The stems are hollow and bamboolike and can grow up to 10cm per day. This new growth forms dense thickets, known as stands. The leaves grow on alternate sides of the stem producing a zig-zag pattern in the stem.
Japanese knotweed canes grow to around 3 to 3.5m tall. It will often form as a semi-dense stand of upright stems, with lush green foliage in the form of shovel shaped leaves up to 200mm long.
Still unsure? Use our free identification service. Send us a few pictures of the plant that concerns you: [email protected]
new-knotweed-shoot-two.jpg
new-knotweed-shoot-one.jpg

Sponsored Links
havent got a clue but make sure you fully mark every single point accurately where you remove a stem in case its important for eradication

Looks like it could be but you will soon know once the leaves open up. I wouldnt do anything until that happens.

As above, it could be Peoni as that looks almost the same.

Is the house a 'new build?'

Hard to tell this early. Could be, could also be peony or a number of other plants
I doubt a peony will show its face this early - if the OP is unsure he can easily scratch the surface of soil away to see if a corm is present.

Thanks all.

I had someone local do a free inspection. Essentially he said to wait a little longer to see what follows.

I'd manage to get a small bit of the root away which was white in the centre. The guy said that if it was knotweed then that should have been bright orange. So I guess it's just a waiting game for now. Fingers crossed.

I doubt a peony will show its face this early - if the OP is unsure he can easily scratch the surface of soil away to see if a corm is present.
Mine are showing already. Fingers crossed it's not knotweed!

Peoni does show this time of the year as mine are sprouting up now. It does look like the pic in OP's first post...fingers crossed

My peonies are up, deep red stems similar to the pic.

The OP photo is fuzzy

Take some more

Preferably showing some leaf.

Seriously, just scratch away a little bit of topsoil and you'll see a corm if peony, a root if knotweed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back