JAW DROPPER SET or BEARHUG SET?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

From your experience, what is the best set to buy for tightening nuts, ie back nuts, tap connectors, etc in tight spaces. I really need to get a kit after recent problems with the bulky adjustable basin wrench!!

The Jaw Dropper set from Screwfix and also BES ( I presume the BES and Screwfix set are the same)?

or the Bearhug kit? (from BES) - This comes with a ratchet socket driver also.

Or are they different from each other?

Sponsored Links
I have the bearhug kit and it is really good. You can really put some pressure on.

I bought the kit with the ratchet but you can buy the heads on their own but you will need a 3/8" ratchet and extensions.

Well worth the money IMHO

jacob - can't comment on the tackle you mention 'cos I've always used (over 20 odd years) an adjustable basin wrench (I think it's a Monument) so can recommend one of these. Mine has 2 detachable 'hook' heads for different ranges of nut sizes, a swivel (universal joint) for the heads, a long handle and sliding tommy bar. This allows really awkwardly sited nuts to be gripped.

Sponsored Links
jacob - can't comment on the tackle you mention 'cos I've always used (over 20 odd years) an adjustable basin wrench (I think it's a Monument) so can recommend one of these. Mine has 2 detachable 'hook' heads for different ranges of nut sizes, a swivel (universal joint) for the heads, a long handle and sliding tommy bar. This allows really awkwardly sited nuts to be gripped.

The two bits of kit mentioned are the next generation of basin wrench. The original monument type wrench is OK, but can be prone to slipping and chewing nuts up.

A mate of mine (a plumber for 20 yrs or so) saw my bearhug kit and was sceptical at first until he used it :cool: He went and ordered one that day.

I could sell this product all day long, just stand in a plumbers merchants with an old basin and tap and let them try it and they would want one.

The jaw dropper looks good as well but I haven't had any hands on experience of it so can't really give a fair comparison.

Bearhug is made by Scottool http://www.scottool.co.uk/

Jawdropper by Armeg http://www.armeg.co.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back