JCB Power tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any experiences of using this brand of power tool? I notice that Argos currently has 25% off JCB power tools but don't want to end up with rubbish.

Sponsored Links
It depends on what you want to use them for i.e, for the occassional bit of DIY or in a professional capacity ? I have used a few of their power tools and they are ok in general but I haven't really given them a proper workout. I still use a JCB planer a few times a week and it does do a very good job. If you can try before you buy then it will be best to get a feel for them.

dont suppose JCB would put thir name to something that is "not up to scratch" when did you last see a bright yellow back hoe digger broken becasue it was sub standard?

What does jcb stand for? i think it may be (not) Johns Construction Bucket

Only three more days to go though on the offer!! It finishes on Wednesday.
Agree with DazB, you generally get what you pay for but if it's only for occasional use it's probably OK. It's amazing how low some these items are priced at.
I've had a mixture of tools ranging from the expensive (very nice) to the cheap and cheerful (does the job but don't expect precision). I think the Argos offer is very good but I just haven't got any space left for that cross cut saw I was considering....

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking, most power tools will last a long time if you're not heavy handed with it,

Example,when drilling into a brick wall, what happen when the masonary drill not going in,you put more pressure on the power drill !!!

WRONG!!! the masonary drill bit is blunt,if you ignore this then the power drill will burn out.The same as any power tools.....

I am a electrician. My apprentice bought a jcb 18v cordless and 710W hammer drill for £79.99. Corded lasted 2mts cordless still going(3mts) but only in second gear. Seems like very poor preformance but then i suppose they are not designed for everyday use. I'm sticken' to my dewalt!!

I have the Circular Saw. Got it last march and its had a lot of use. Very good for price, but replaced blade as a bit rough for my liking.

Anyway if its no good, take it back and get a refund within 16 days.

Or do this, when the warranty is about to run out. Head into Argos and advise the assistant about the problems you've been having with the "chuck drive differential alignment" and request that it be replaced. RESULT: get a brand new one!

breezer said:
dont suppose JCB would put thir name to something that is "not up to scratch" when did you last see a bright yellow back hoe digger broken becasue it was sub standard?

What does jcb stand for? i think it may be (not) Johns Construction Bucket

The JCB brand on power Tools is a licensing deal which is NOT the compnay that makes diggers. Although 99% of people make the assumption it is.

They were one at one time, but they went their seperate ways in the 1960's, the diggers owned by the father and the other by the son, similar situation to what happened to ER Foden and ERF in the truck industry.

JCB actually is the initials of the company founder..James Clark Brown.

The Power tools are cheap tat, i wouldn't waste money on them.

If you want inexpensive tools for infrequent use then I would recommend the P-Pro range in B&Q. These have motors, switches and gearboxes bought from Bosch, they are old stock from about 4 years ago that Bosch sell off.

I have seen these tools used on site by some guys as well, reasonably effectively too I might add.

Personally I will stick to Bosch and DeWalt for Power tools.

JCB actually is the initials of the company founder..James Clark Brown

Who told you that ?

It's true JCB was named after the man who founded it but his name was

Joseph Cyril Bamford.

here's a brief history lesson for you . Enjoy

DAZB said:

Joseph Cyril Bamford.

looks like FWL_Engineer is not as infalable as we all assume?

Bought the cordless Pro Range C/Saw from B&Q. Was for use on ply 1/2", lasted about 3 lenths of 8x4 sheet. Took it back after a week, spent most of time charging it. :mad:

DAZB said:
JCB actually is the initials of the company founder..James Clark Brown

Who told you that ?

Joseph Cyril Bamford.

here's a brief history lesson for you . Enjoy

I humbly apologise.

It seems I got my wires crossed :))). James Clark Brown was an American Businessman that tried to by JCB about a decade ago as the company bore his initials....

It is odd how you remember somethings, but the detail escapes you.
Sorry If I misled anyone, it was not intentional.

Must be getting senile I suppose :)

james clarke brown ???

"
Joseph Cyril Bamford launched the construction and agricultural equipment manufacturing company that bears his initials, in 1945. He began his business in a garage that measured 12 feet by 15 feet.
Today, JCB’s world headquarters is one of the finest engineering factories in Europe. The company that began as a ‘one man band’ now employs over 4,000 people and produces over 130 different models on 4 different continents – with bases in the UK, the USA, India and South America. It also sells a full range of equipment in over 150 countries. "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back