JCC downlights dying prematurely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had builders back in the past due to these downlights going off randomly, occasionally coming back on and many just dying completely.

They came back on moaned about how people thought they were there to change their bulbs etc....

Then came back and said supplier knows they are faulty and sends them out boxes of them.

This is no good to us, we just want lights the work and last, I mean last house had screwfix ones fitted and there were still fine after 10 years...these are failing at 1-2 years.

Having no trust in the builders would it be possible that this is happening due to wiring?

Here is a photo of what is happening at the connector :

http://img14.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img3723o.jpg

First one is of one that has been in a while longer and second only a matter of months, first is the older batch code and second is newer.

These are the accessible ones, there are many not so accessible, I wasn't expecting to have to replace every single light in the house bar a few rooms withing a couple of years or so.

Anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
It generally says on the box that you get around 1000hrs with this type of bulb - depends on the environment its in.

Apart from the proximity of the insulation - I take it you did not move it away from the lights - you might get two years from these lights. If the insulation is/was over the light units and/or the transformer then they could be overheating.

These things are a great way to heat your loft. ;)

Next time the builders are there you might like to discuss their contraventions of Parts L and C of the Building Regulations.

Sponsored Links
jcc fittings are generally pretty decent. are you using heat forward lamps?

Lack of insulation.

Lack of vapour barrier.

That's another issue, the rear of our house seems to be notably colder than the front, I see block type insulation down the front when you climb across to the edge in the loft but at the rear none of that blocks.

Even the rear walls are very cold to the touch, was thinking about cutting some board out to see if anything in there..

Or is there a better way, like an infrared thermometor or does that not tell much

jcc fittings are generally pretty decent. are you using heat forward lamps?

Yes using exactly the ones they recommend, that's what the builder grumped about, people using wrong bulbs....just seems that they try to blame everything on anyone but themselves or the kit etc

It generally says on the box that you get around 1000hrs with this type of bulb - depends on the environment its in.

Apart from the proximity of the insulation - I take it you did not move it away from the lights - you might get two years from these lights. If the insulation is/was over the light units and/or the transformer then they could be overheating.

It's not the bulb that is failing, it's the light itself, for example I can take bulb that might appear to be dead in one downlighter and swap it with one working and it works fine.

Are you saying lights like these should only last 2 years?

The actual fittings, surely not I had the cheap ones fitted in last house and they still working 8 years on

Probably doesn't make a difference.

All those holes in the ceilings will allow warm, moist air from the house to enter the roof space, which is a lot colder. Some of the moisture in that air will, or could, condense onto cold surfaces (e.g. roof timbers).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back