jg saw blades??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all

New at this DIY stuff, but a simple question for ye - -- bought a Bosch Jig saw over the weekend - works fine - the thing is the blade that comes with it (a 60 mm wood) is a tiny bit too short to cut through 2*3 at 45 degrees - -I went to the local DIY shop and they told me that was the longest blade you could get for a bosch jigsaw??!?!? I find it hard to believe - - can anyone confirm this or recommend a blade that would do the trick?

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find the salesman was correct. The problem with a longer blade would be that it "wandered" and produced a cut that that wasn't square and true.

Remember that you reduce the length of cut available when you stray from the 90 deg line. The blade effectively becomes shorter.

If 2*3 means 2 inches by three inches and you want to make cut at 45 deg you'll either need a chop saw with a mitre facility (expensive) or else a manual system such as a mitre block and hand saw.

See this:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=77196&id=11835

thanks cobweb -

"Remember that you reduce the length of cut available when you stray from the 90 deg line. The blade effectively becomes shorter".

Found that out to my surprise on Saturday - of course I gave my head a slap when I realized what/why was happeing - :eek:

ok, so seeing as how I dont really have that much DIY type stuff to do, then maybe the mitre box is the best solution - - or finding someone who has a better selection of tools then myself!
;)

A little tips..........

When using mitre block always let the saw do the cutting not your elbow otherwise the saw blade will bend slighty & force out of line etc...........

Sponsored Links
That's good tip, Masona...and one I learnt the hard way many years ago! :D

Thanks lads, unfortuantely www.scrwfix.com don't deliver to the Republic - :!: no comment :!: , but just so im sure, when going to purchase a mitre block - will just about any one do the job? I know it would have it's limatations, but say I want to cut 4 by 4 at 45 degrees -- would there be a box that could adjust to this size?

not sure if the Red Green show ever made it ovr this side of the Atlantic, but he used to say

"if woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

all my eggs now rest on the handy side of things -- and im not doing bery well so far!! :D

If you buy a Mitre Block then the maximum size will be determined by the physical size of the block and this should be apparent when you look at it.

If the buy the jig+saw type (same as the screwfix one) the same rule applies but you'll probably find they take larger timber sections.

I had a quick look at the B&Q site (www.diy.com) and couldn't see a branch in the republic but surely you have a large DIY store? Almost any will carry Mitre blocks/jigs as standard stock.

I suppose its just common sense really -- silly question-

there is a BnQ on the outer rim of Dublin -- I'll check there --

thanks again --

you'll be seeing more of alot me when I start the next project - THE DECK - oh lord!!

My electric mitre saw is the best present I've ever had! It has saved me hours of work since chrimbo. Makro do some great deals on power tools, assuming you can live with Nutool, Performance, Power Devil etc. If you are planning on doing decking you will certainly need more than a jigsaw, I hardly use mine anymore...takes too much patience a straight line out of it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back