JG Speedfit - Can You Shorten A Speedfit Flexihose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all, first post so please be gentle.

BACKGROUND:
I am a new homeowner and trying to do a few jobs myself, due to current financial obligations. I had a subcontracted plumber come in to do some work in the bathroom when my place was renovated some time ago, and one of the jobs he did was change the bathroom taps. Only long after he had left did I discover that the hot and cold supplies were reversed from the normal sense (ie: hot on the right tap).

The supply is currently connected from the copper pipe feeding the bathroom, to the taps, via JG Speedfit Flexihose pipes, like these:
http://www.speedfit.co.uk/Home/Prod...2---28mm-Size-Hoses/SPEEDFIT-X-UNION-NUT.aspx

The connection from copper to Speedfit Flexihose is under the bath and can be accessed relatively easily via a 'removable' tile on the side of the bath.

PROBLEM: I want to reverse the hot and cold supply connections, so that the sense is correct at the bath taps. Unfortunately, the currently installed Flexihoses (300mm length) are too short to be crossed over and still reach the correct tap. I bought some 500mm Flexihoses to replace them, but these seem too LONG, when connected and crossed over to reach the correct taps - ie: the amount of bend required on the Flexihoses to get them to connect seems excessive.

Is there a way that I can cut the Flexihoses shorter? It doesn't seem obvious to me how I would be able to re-attach the fittings (union nut or collet, depending which end I cut).

Otherwise, can anyone suggest an alternative solution to connecting my bath taps up to the copper supply running into the bathroom? Off the top of my head, the length of pipe required for each connection would be about 400mm.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
No they cannot be shortened. Just remove the flexi hose from the copper pipe, extend the copper to suit the 300mm flexi to the tap you want to connect it too.

Aha, OK, hadn't even thought of that (I am a complete newbie at plumbing!).

In terms of extending the copper fitting, how do I go about this (any useful links online that might explain how to do it?)

Thanks

Easiest way for you if you are only working on a small hole behind a tile, remove flexi hose, Get a 15mm straight pushfit coupling, push that onto the existing copper, get another piece of copper or plasic pipe, dont forget the inserts if using plastic. ( plastic will be better for you as it will flex to where you need it to reach the tap) then push your flexi hose onto the plastic pipe.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - that sounds doable. I'll probably go for plastic as you say. Incidentally the tile that allows access is on the side of the bath and therefore not that small (about 50cm x 30cm). Anything else I need to be careful of in terms of sealing the joins on either end, etc?

Also, I've noticed the existing flexihoses can make a brief 'vibration' noise sometimes as the taps in the bathroom are turned on and off - is this normal, and if not, how can I stop this noise / reduce it?

instead of messing about with adding extra copper, you already have longer flexi's just cut the copper to suit these, use a pipeslice or pipe cutter NOT a hacksaw

Make sure you use inserts in both ends of the plastic. as all joints are pushfit apart from the 3/4 nut to the tap, make sure pipe is fully inserted into the joints and the plastic collars on the coupling are tightened up once fitted. Check the rubber washer is still okay inside the 3/4 nut screw this hand tight then half a turn with an adjustable should be fine, tighten more if not fully sealed but do not overtighten, Good luck.

Thanks all for your help - I hope to have some time to try out your suggestions later this week. In the meantime I'll be posting my next exciting challenge in the plumbing section :D

Hello all - quick update.

I spent hours yesterday on this little project. Couldn't get one of the original speedfit hoses off, so had to hacksaw it off while working on my back in a pokey little space - great fun.

Then discovered all the connections were 22mm not 15mm, so back to Wickes to exchange all the 15mm gear I'd bought - oops.

Finally got everything connected - I ended up using a speedfit straight coupler for the cold supply and a speedfit elbow for the hot supply (both with plastic pipe and inserts), just based on the location of the hot tap vs hot supply.

All was fine and dandy all of yesterday evening and this morning, until I ran the bath taps to make sure all air bubbles had been flushed. After getting full pressure in the speedfit hoses that connect the bath supplies to the bath taps, I now have a new serious problem! :cry:

It seems that these hoses have a natural tendency to 'bounce' when their water supply is depressurised. Because of the way my bathroom is set up (c**p 1960s design), the toilet and basin are downstream of the bath supply (everything tapped off the same main pipes).

Thus every time the toilet is flushed or the basin taps run (full pressure only), the houses bounce when the water is turned off, and this creates a giant shockwave through the main supply pipes, all the way through to the kitchen. It's causing an awful creaking noise, which I imagine is not good long term.

This happened before with the old setup, but the vibration was nowhere near as bad. I imagine using an elbow for the bath hot tap has made it worse, as it will create an awkward force on the main pipe.

My first plan is to replace the elbow with a straight coupler (as per cold tap) and pray the problem goes away.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to look at supporting the pipes, which is going to be a real problem I suspect. The noise is coming from an area that's covered by kitchen cupboards and not really accessible. In addition, these pipes are quite close together, so I don't even know if it's possible to buy pipe clips that can be installed without cutting the pipes!

If anyone has any suggestions for pipe support, I would welcome them :cry:

I'll try to upload some photos of the pipes -
First one is of the supply pipes coming in under the kitchen sink - they run through the kitchen (behind a cupboard) and through the wall to the bathroom. They enter under the bath. The noise seems to be happening somewhere behind the kitchen cupboard.
The second photo shows the pipes running behind the kitchen cupboard (cold not visible due to angle). How on EARTH could I get a pipe clip in there!

UPDATE -
Third photo shows the new setup under the bath. Elbow for hot supply to hot tap and straight coupler for cold supply to cold tap. Supply pipes are coming through the wall at the far end of the shot, from the kitchen.
Fourth photo shows the same hot & cold supply pipes running out from under the bath, towards the basin and then the toilet. As far as I can tell, the toilet is the end point of the supply in the house.
View media item 59313 View media item 59314View media item 59342View media item 59343

Stop tap....what's that? The main tap that lets water into the property you mean?

PS - going to post a photo of the setup under the bath tomorrow morning!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back