Jigsaw blade snapped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So yesterday I put up some standard lap panel fences. They needed trimming (about 1cm) so they could slide down into place between the fence posts. I used my jigsaw and used three blades to do the job (about six panels). One became blunt and then hit a nail and became bent. One just became blunt. The third blade snapped just as I was finishing and I ended up resorting to a hand saw.

All three were Makita blades designed for wood. Is there any reason why the blade snapped?

Are there any better quality blades to use?

Sponsored Links
Probably the most common problem is over heating, becoming blunt and then forcing the jigsaw rather than letting the blade breathe so to speak and let it do the work, having said that unless it's your only means of cutting I'd of used a circular saw, even a sharp panel saw.

As for blades though each will have their own preference, mine are Lenox, I use them for the jigsaw and my recip, specifically the 'fire and rescue' blade for the recip, good for ripping out windows

All three were Makita blades designed for wood. Is there any reason why the blade snapped?

Without wanting to sound condescending, bad technique. As Crank mentioned there's also a heat issue but from experience I've found the latter to be the biggest loss of blades. I use the cheapest blades I can get from screwfix and they do me fine.

Thanks. It's not condescending to say it's crap technique. This was my second attempt at using the jigsaw (the first was to cut some melamine which worked although a bit wonky).

I was pushing the jigsaw a bit as sometimes it would just come to a slowdown for no obvious reason.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. It's not condescending to say it's crap technique. This was my second attempt at using the jigsaw (the first was to cut some melamine which worked although a bit wonky).

I was pushing the jigsaw a bit as sometimes it would just come to a slowdown for no obvious reason.

Always let the tool do the work and only when it really struggles reconsider other factors such as blade type, density and moisture content of the wood and your blade orbit and then is it blunt? For neater cuts you want little or no orbit but it will take longer and the jigsaw will do more work, larger orbit for a rougher cut and quicker work. Many modern jigsaws also have a speed control; that's another factor you may want to consider down the line.

For melamine type of board and fascia I use fine tooth metal cutting blades. Takes a lot more work but I find you can have far greater control over the cut and finish.

Fence panels are weak and flap about under a jigsaw causing it to snag and break blades. Circular saw would be a better choice for fencing.

Thanks. I knew a circular saw would be a better choice especially with a track but funds are limited.

with thin material like fencing your blade can catch on a bit off panel that will vibrate giving you the feeling off lots off noise and vibration with little movement
the solution is to alter the stroke speed and or support to stop the vibration
good sharp wood blades can be ruined by cutting a nail or two even more so on a screw or bolt

with thin material like fencing your blade can catch on a bit off panel that will vibrate giving you the feeling off lots off noise and vibration with little movement
the solution is to alter the stroke speed and or support to stop the vibration
I had the fence supported on some sawhorses. I was originally going to remove the end baton and move it across but the baton started to crack. I ended up trimming. I have the DJV182 and had it has variable speed control. Is there a particular setting I should have used or just a low range eg 1-3?

I had the fence supported on some sawhorses. I was originally going to remove the end baton and move it across but the baton started to crack. I ended up trimming. I have the DJV182 and had it has variable speed control. Is there a particular setting I should have used or just a low range eg 1-3?

I have the same jigsaw and I've cut fence panels with it. While it's awkward I had the orbit up full, speed up full and made sure to keep a firm hard and down force on it. Use a blade with a shorter gullet between teeth to avoid snagging while the orbit is high.

Edit: Where possible use 3x2 on edge along the saw horses to try and remove flex from the panel when cutting, if you have any to hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back