Jigsaw problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rarely use a jigsaw, but I've just been using one to cut some 1/4" OSB.
I'Ve been using anothe piece of board as a guide to run the base plate of the jigsaw along, but the blade keeps pulling / bending towards the guide. As much as 1/4" over a 8" cut.

I've checked I'm using an appropriate blade.
I've tried different blade speeds.
I've tried pushing more or less hard.
All with the same result.

Any thoughts / solutions?

Sponsored Links
most jigsaws arn't accurate enough for a guided cut you need a circular saw or do it freehand
in general the problem is the blade will be cutting perhaps 1-2 degrees off strait so the blade goes one way and the machine goes a different route
the easiest way it to line up the blade and follow the blade ignoring what the machine body is doing
it wont be dead strait but it will be more predictable
what blade are you using and how old is it ??

buy a cheap skill saw,much better finish then faffing about with a jiggy.

Sponsored Links
It is a cheap jigsaw.
I can't really justify a circular saw considering how often it'll get used.

I can't remember what blade it is, but I checked the number and it was listed as for medium to course wood cuts. I don't think it's been used more than a handful of times so ought to be reasonably sharp.

I did end up cutting without a guide and was surprised how much more accurate I could cut. Lesson learned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back