Kitchen worktop cut-out

Please read my last post scrit , drill in the corner for access, then cut away from the drilled hole with a jigsaw, enough to get handsaw in then saw away.
Do not tell me it will not work, I have done it on many occasions the last time 2 weeks ago.

Sponsored Links
The second time you said it was a bit clearer. But I just don't see the point of carrying an extra tool to finish off a cut started with another tool (the jigsaw) which can do the full cut in any case.

Scrit

me neither, whats the point in starting a cut with a jigsaw, then finishing by hand? Its like drilling half a hole (you know what I mean...) with a leccy drill then finishing with a hand drill - pointless IMO.

Scrit, get yourself a saw with a "woodpecker " tip, designed for starting cuts in the middle of panels, mine works a treat but I save it for more friendly things than worktops.

I think an 8tpi stanley jetcut will cut a lot faster than a jiggy fot a straight cut but I do sink cutouts by drilling the corners and plunge cutting with my cordless circ saw.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Knowing how to cut worktop by hand comes in handy when there's no power, you've forgot your jigsaw, run out of blades etc.
Simply drilling half a dozen small holes, around 3mm, close together along your line will be enough to get the tip of your saw started and takes seconds.

HELLO :D

My first post :eek:

As far as I am aware there is only ONE jigsaw on the market that cuts true, Festool. It has an adjustable guide that supports the blade, in a similar way that band saw blades are supported. It is the only jigsaw I have ever used that actually does what it is supposed to do, with the right blade that is.

The router option is not a route I would recommend for the novice.

and err HELLO everyone :D

It is the only jigsaw I have ever used that actually does what it is supposed to do

eh?

My jigsaw also does what its supposed to do, ie saw stuff by jigging

Stefan740 said:
As far as I am aware there is only ONE jigsaw on the market that cuts true, Festool. It has an adjustable guide that supports the blade, in a similar way that band saw blades are supported.
So you've not tried the Bosch GST135BCE/GST135CE, then? Video here. Most people are discounting it down to circa £125 or so which makes it half the price of the Festool. Tried it, like it, and I'll replace my Metabo with one of these this year. The other thing is to cut square you need decent quality, unbent sharp blades.....

Before you think I'm anti-Festool, I do own some of their stuff (like random orbit sanders)., it's just that their jiggers ar so pricey.

Oh, and hello :LOL:

Scrit

ok, I just checked out the Bosch vid and it has the stability thing that Festool has. I thought Festool had that patented?

Looks like the Bosch does what the festool does, in addition to the guide stability thing, the festool has these plastic inerts that are cut with the blade when inserted, you have to use a different insert for different blades - they are disposable. When these are fitted you do get splinter free cuts. Also the festool attaches to the guide rail and dust extraction is very good.

For the money though the Bosch will do what it is supposed to by the looks of things.

I have to agree with the cost of festool, they are expensive. I do have a good dealer though who is very very cheap.

£305 inc VAT TS75 plunge saw with 1400 rail
£250 + VAT OF1400 router
£255 + VAT CT33 vac

They are called William Way in Godstone - if u want there number let me no - I am in the bath so no access to mob.

Thanks for the response and correcting me lol

Nice forum

Stefan

Stefan740 said:
OK, I just checked out the Bosch vid and it has the stability thing that Festool has. I thought Festool had that patented?
They may well have patented it, but the first time I remember seeing it was 12+ years ago, so their original patent might well have run out by now (their original designs used ceramic guide blocks)

Stefan740 said:
... in addition to the guide stability thing, the Festool has these plastic inserts that are cut with the blade when inserted.....
Bosch and Metabo both have them - they are called anti-splinter inserts and have been around for 10+ years (the age of my current Metabo!)

Stefan740 said:
... Also the Festool attaches to the guide rail and dust extraction is very good.
Bosch also have a guide rail system which can be used with their jig saw, and I use it with a braked plunge saw called a Bosch GKS86B, although I'm generally underwhelmed by this saw - it's complexity makes it less reliable than my old Elu MH265 (which, incidentally can be used on the deWalt rail system). My personal preference for a replacement might well be one of the saws made by Mafell (especially the one with a roll-up guide rail)

I'm not trying to be nasty, just to point out that other manufacturers do good things, too. Festool is horrendously expensive, but it still didn't stop me swapping from a Bosch GEX150 ROS to the Festool equivalent (the ET2e - since replaced); reason - far better dust extraction.

Scrit

Looks like like a realy nice jig saw, and I would own one if I wasn't such a snob :LOL:

To be honest - I just buy Festool and don't look around for anything else - looks like that is to the cost of my wallet!

Look forward to shooting the breeze some more on another topic.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back