What jigsaw blade do i need for worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dewalt jigsaw DW320K and want to cut a hole in a worktop for a sink.

My question is;-

1) What blades do i need?
2) What settings on the jigsaw should I use?

Worktop is usual thickness - about 40mm

Cheers

Sponsored Links
read the packets, it will tell you if it's suitable for thick chipboard..

if you're cutting from the top you'll probably want a down cutting blade..
if you're using a downcutting blade then turn the rocking off, it does it backwards to what you need it to ( ie rocks back on the downstroke and forwards on the upstroke.. )

don't go too fast and don't puch too hard, worktops tend to wreck the blades fast due to the resins /glue etc that they're made with..

down cutting blades as coljack mentioned, if it's a standard rectangular sink I would advise you get at least 3 blades, one for each length and the third for the two widths as a minimum!

you could quite happily use a 101b or d and use pendulum
remember the sink will cover the 10mm or so at the edge chipping will be less than 3mm so well coverd
as as said above expect to use 1 or more blades per cur out

10mm hole inside the cut line at each corners
cut the end and 6" along the back and front each end
insert a 10" wide 6mm board between the frame and the top each side
then finnish cutting the back and front

if for any reason you choose to cut from underneath "TURN THE PENDULUM OFF"

Sponsored Links
Cheers for replies. Hopefully B&Q will have them in tomorrow.

I assume i set the saw speed to max?

Will be cutting from the top as its easier to mark the sink out.

Re the pendulum it can be on or off then? The sink as you say will hide any rough edge.

When cutting holes out for sinks etc. in worktops, I fit the template and tape it into position first, drill a 12 mm hole through the worktop just off the line and then using the jigsaw from the underside follow the blade around the template by just watching the blade. This eliminates most of the chipping from the top surface, use the saw on about half speed and you will get all the way round using one blade. If you find it awkward following the template all from one starting position, drill further holes maybe one for each side and start at each hole. support the worktop across tressles to hold it into place and adjust there positions so as to also support the piece being cut out, a third tressle usually covers it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back