Jigsaw recommendations for DIY-er please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Given the current goings-on, I’m finally able to start a couple of pallet projects in the garden whilst the weather is good.

I already have a reciprocating saw for my “rough” work and am in the market for a jigsaw for some of the “finer” cuts - I’ve done a google search and read so many reviews, I’ve confused myself!

Please can you recommend me a budget jigsaw and blades (wood blades only)? My preference would be to order online, but I could click & collect from Toolstation, Screwfix or Wickes (although of course my purchase is not essential!)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Given the current goings-on, I’m finally able to start a couple of pallet projects in the garden whilst the weather is good.

I already have a reciprocating saw for my “rough” work and am in the market for a jigsaw for some of the “finer” cuts - I’ve done a google search and read so many reviews, I’ve confused myself!

Please can you recommend me a budget jigsaw and blades (wood blades only)? My preference would be to order online, but I could click & collect from Toolstation, Screwfix or Wickes (although of course my purchase is not essential!)

Thanks in advance

First of all do you really want a jigsaw? If making straight cuts there are more suitable alternatives.

Hi Eddie,

I think I do, but I’m open to alternative suggestions! Thought process behind jigsaw was the need to cut out a couple of squares from a fully constructed pallet so that I can insert some plastic bowls.

Thanks!

If you can find one - Makita M4301

But as others have said there could be better alternatives, e.g. a Mitre saw or even a chop saw.

Think your decision has to be based on space available as well as cost.

Sponsored Links
It would be useful if you stated what your budget is. The Makita above seems to get good reviews but I've no first hand experience of it. Jigsaws in my experience are pretty inaccurate tools (Well they are in my hands anyway) so it's not really my go to choice for most situations. I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions.

Thanks wgt52 - perhaps I’m not describing very well what I’m trying to do because I’m unsure how I’d achieve it with either a mitre saw or a chop saw?

The simplest parallel is perhaps the cut out in a worktop to insert a sink - except I’m cutting my hole in a pallet!

I’ll look up the Makita recommendation

Hi Eddie, anything up to £75 I’d say. Currently have no further plans to use the tool, but have space in the garage to store it so you never know....

Round or Square openings?
If round then it is probably best to use a jigsaw. Square holes a circular or tracksaw will work well.

I m using BOsch T301 BCP clean cut blades.
They have teeth which run and cut at the sides of the blade.
Off set at each side.

A good quality blade can always make a bad machine look good.

Thanks Ryler - I had read that decent blades make all the difference.

Very happy with my makita. Not sure of the model number. Its way better than cheap green Bosch it replaced. Cuts faster and straighter, and its much easier to change the blade. Probably over budget new but I got mine second hand in great condition.

even good quality jigsaws can be hit and miss
if its a one off for say a plastic planter 25-32mm spade bit hole in the corners
baton screwed along the cut line
shoe off the resip saw on the baton cut rubbing blade along the baton

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back