Job prospects

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im employed with a national construction company, however for the last 6 weeks ive been sitting in the house being paid basic hours.

Everybody knows construction is struggling with the recession.

When will it recover ?, tomorrow ive got a meeting to discuss my contract, which is bound to mean redundancy.

When will it pick up around the country, Scotland is grim, although large jobs are due starting over the next few months.

Any redundant tradesmen out there, how did you manage, I dont fancy handing my house over to the bank.

Any help, please post up

Al

Sponsored Links
It does sound grim, but we are all in the same boat (or should I say sinking ship).
If I get thrown on the scrap heap and my house snatched back from me when I have only got a handful of years left on it. I would burn it down and go to prison where you don't have to bother about a job of even proving you are worth your dole!

If we just hang on until 2012 we will be annihilated by a global disaster anyway??
Ahhh...happy days! :cry:

late seventies early eighties were hard in construction too, thats when i decided to get out, went into maintenance which led to better opportunities as you learnt more about the equipment rather than just how to install it, again this led me into the industry i've been in for the last 25 years.

so my advice would be dont wait for things to get worse, think about diversifying.

I ve been unemployed for just over a year, the last 2 jobs i applied for they had 1500 and 1600 responses for 1 position.

Luckily for me the DWP are paying the intrest on my mortgage and im getting council tax benefit so i know my house is safe, even though im still struggling paying everything else on £64.50 a week im gratefull i still have a roof over my head.

The building game is always the first to get hit and always the last to pick up in a resession. I was made redundant from a 32k a year service engineer/joinery job as the construction side of the company was put up for sale but no one was intrested so it traded down until it closed, that was in 2008 and i ve had nothing since, i see jobs here in the midlands for time served joiners with plumbing, electrical, plastering and tiling experience for 18k a year, ridiculous!

Sponsored Links
" get on your bikes" - Norm. Tebbit - before he got bombed :idea: " The family comes first" - Maggie before they F`ed her off out.... Words of wisdom as valuable today as they were then

I ve been unemployed for just over a year, the last 2 jobs i applied for they had 1500 and 1600 responses for 1 position.

Luckily for me the DWP are paying the intrest on my mortgage and im getting council tax benefit so i know my house is safe, even though im still struggling paying everything else on £64.50 a week im gratefull i still have a roof over my head.

The building game is always the first to get hit and always the last to pick up in a resession. I was made redundant from a 32k a year service engineer/joinery job as the construction side of the company was put up for sale but no one was intrested so it traded down until it closed, that was in 2008 and i ve had nothing since, i see jobs here in the midlands for time served joiners with plumbing, electrical, plastering and tiling experience for 18k a year, ridiculous!

right there with you sunshine..
out since feb last year, so not quite a year yet.. ,,

Everybody knows construction is struggling with the recession.

Not according to the news today, we are out of it :confused:
The company I work for had a great run of work, the back end of last year.
But seems to have stood still, not sure whether it was the harsh weather or the seasonal trend or that there's bug-ger all going on :!:

Sponsored Links
Back