Job time scale - how long?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an electrician around to quote for putting some LV lights in my kitchen. As I am going to re-board and skim my ceiling, he suggested the following-

He would come and install all his wiring before I fitted the new plasterboards on the ceiling. Basically, 2 banks of LV downlights, 4 per bank. Change existing single switch into 2 gang. He would then draw a plan of where the lights are going to be and I can then board and then skim the ceiling. The electrician would then come back and cut the holes in the correct place to fit the lights.

I know asking about pricing is frowned upon, so what sort of time scale do you think is involved in the above. He has quoted me, but I personally think it is a little high so I am going to get more quotes.

Just thought I would ask what the experts thought about the job time.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
How easy is it to run the wire for the lights? Is there access already from above or have you taken all the existing plasterboard down so he works from below or are you planning to board over the existing boards??

Are you supplying all the switches and lights or is he?

Looks like up to a day and half to do the work? so I guess around £200 plus parts and cable, plus fuel.

How easy is it to run the wire for the lights?

He is going to chop into the ceiling to run the wires.

Is there access already from above or have you taken all the existing plasterboard down so he works from below or are you planning to board over the existing boards??

No access from above. I am planning to board over the existing boards.

Are you supplying all the switches and lights or is he?

I am supplying the lights and switches. Electrician will supply the cable.

Looks like up to a day and half to do the work? so I guess around £200 plus parts and cable, plus fuel.

He quoted me 8 hours labour in total. Guess this sounds about right then.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back