How to wire 8 LV ceiling lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am interested to understand more about wiring 8 LV ceiling lights. I have taken down ceiling and can see wiring is currently like this: (I believe wire A comes from Consumer Unit under stairs)

1cbb188b562d47459949f53e17051a0f.jpg

I would like to modify existing lighting so that - no change to light switch 1(it still turns on light fitting1), change light switch 2 so that it turns on 8 LV ceiling lights. I believe the wiring would look like this:

0c5c134296e64e7996a975aa2f113460.jpg

Is this the correct way of doing it?

Cheers Steve

Sponsored Links
Thats the general idea. loop from one downlight to the next.

The junction box must be accessible, a chocbox is normally handy as you can push it through a downlight hole, unlike a 20A box with small downlights.

The Click 20A 4 terminal junction boxes I use are 58mm in diameter which fit through all holes I've drilled for the various makes of downlighters I've fitted.

How would they compare size wise to a choc box? I can't see there being much in it either way.

THanks for your replies. I changed my drawing now to reflect the cable looping between the transformers:

87a6af59f8e44d338534fc26892d5ead.jpg

- does this look right now?
- would this use 1mm2 cable?
- where to buy a 58mm junction box?

That's all :)

Cheers[/img]

Sponsored Links
How would they compare size wise to a choc box? I can't see there being much in it either way.

There is a difference that some of the registration bodies have been clamping down on (pun intended).

A round terminal box is only valid for use if it is screwed to a background and the cables are clipped.

This is because you must have strain rlief on the cables if the box is floating loose.

Choc box have this feature http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CHOCBOX.html

Also you could use one of these - also gives you loop in capability and you can easily disconnect the tranny while doing insulation tests
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html

just being picky now but should the title to this subject be, how to wire in 8 ELV Lights??

If accessability to your junction boxes was gonna be a problem you could always use maintenance free junction boxes like these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ804.html

accessability to these is not required. Just something to bear in mind

The Click 20A 4 terminal junction boxes I use are 58mm in diameter which fit through all holes I've drilled for the various makes of downlighters I've fitted.

Choc boxes I find easier & neater, you tape the cables together, dress them into a 5A connecter then snap the choc box around them, feeding the light from the other end.

20A JB will be fine if dressed right, nothing worse than trying yank a 20A JB with cables spidering out of every hole and going all directions though a small downlight apature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back