LV Downlighter - delay

L

longdogs

Hi

I've just installed a set of three LV downlighters for a customer. They were purchased from B&Q and are three fittings already wired together including the transformer and take three 20w bulbs. I've noticed that when the switch is turned on, there is a delay of around three seconds before the lights spark up and then finally come on. I realise that there is normally a delay on LV lights but this seems excessive. I was wondering if there might be a problem with the transformer?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You have thirty days in which to return them for a functioning set.

I've just installed a set of three LV downlighters for a customer. They were purchased from B&Q and are three fittings already wired together including the transformer and take three 20w bulbs
What business do you normally trade in?

An electrician worth his salt would never install a (badly) prewired ELV halogen downlight set from B&Q in a customers home.

As John said, return them and buy a proper transformer, three downlights and cable, from a reputable source (B&Q's IQ / Ring brands are poo)

I'm a bathroom fitter and wouldn't normally fit a pre wired B&Q set, I normally buy them individuallya and connect them myself but the customer had already bought them and have now thrown away the box and the blurb. I'm all in favour of replacing them for some decent ones and guess from your comments that they are probably just cr#p make.

Sponsored Links
Option 1: Have the customer try and take them back.

Option 2: Have the customer get used to the delay.

Option 3: Have the customer throw them away and pay you to fit something decent.

I'm a bathroom fitter and wouldn't normally fit a pre wired B&Q set, I normally buy them individuallya and connect them myself but the customer had already bought them and have now thrown away the box and the blurb. I'm all in favour of replacing them for some decent ones and guess from your comments that they are probably just cr#p make.
Fair enough.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part p

Delay is normal on the B&Q sets. I have two and they are both the same.

I'm just waiting for one of the SMPSs to fail then I'll replace with a toroidal.

Colin C

I'm just waiting for one of the SMPSs to fail then I'll replace with a toroidal.

Colin C
They used to come with wire-wound transformers as standard. They kept breaking (literally the case would crack under the heat, then they were useless).

SMPSs from there might be more reliable than their useless "real" transformers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back